Thursday, June 03, 2004

An insane day or I Give Up

Way back, about a year and a half ago, I ordered an airconditioner from Victor and as is done here, gave him 10 checks. At the time I gave them to him, I had no idea that a major disaster was only days away, thanks to Striar the liar, and my own stupidity for helping him.Mordy, the boss of my account called and informed me with glee that from Nov. 15, my account would become 'restricted' which means all outstanding 'postdated' checks would bounce sky high and I would not be able to use checks for a year (we have some strange laws here). I went directly to Victor to ask if he wanted to cancel the deal and return the now worthless checks or keep them and I'd pay them every month. Victor's wife was alone in the store and she said cancel, we'll return the checks. The next day I talked to Victor and he said, fine, don't worry, you'll get the checks back next week. I foound out later that he used those checks, knowing full well they were worthless to 'pay' some of his debts. 4 checks went to his bank and 6 to a supplier. I came to an agreement with the supplier and they get 300 a month by auto debit from my account. He kept promising to return them and saying not to worry. Stupid me, I believed him, and almost had the VCRs TV and new computer taken today. I *did* get 2 of the checks he'd given the bank back, but there were 2 more. Bless my friends Richard and Mara, The gave me 1200 to fend thre repo guys off and I gave them a check for the balance. Thank God it's over except for the suit we're filing against Victor next week. When I was talking to Mara the repo guys were right next to me and when I told her it was Victor, they became very solicitous and tried to help. They let me get dressed and go get the money which by law they don't have to do. It seemes the brother of one of them got ripped off by Victor a few years ago and he took pity on the crip who was also done by him. Granted, I should and could have taken care of it before it got this far, but as there's supposed to be a hearing in court on the 16th, I didn't. No need for a hearing now! It's paid, but I'm still left with a lousy feeling on one hand while at the same feeling so thankful and greatful for friends like Richard and Mara, who helped no questions asked. Those minutes spent thinking about who to call were a nightmare.
Then getting dressed and going out a second time today, which I almost never do..........my shoulders are killing me from the stress.
On the plus side today, I finally heard from my old high school partner in crime. I saw her brother's name and e addy on the net at one of my old school sites and mailed him asking him to pass my e addy to Nancy. He replied saying it might take her a while to get around to answering as computers are not her hing. Sure enough she wrote from her class on E Mail! I'm going to call her a little later and have a nice catch up. It's so much fun doing the catch up thing with good friends from back when and we were/are good friends.
I just had a lovely catch up with Nancy. That's the great thing about childhood friends. Even after 20 years it's as if it was yesterday! Now all we have to do is get her up to speed on a computer!

I missed Billy today.I hope it was because the gas guys were working and he couldn't use the computer.

No comments: