Tuesday, July 20, 2004

BURNING THE WATER FACTORY

It was a quiet day on our end of the border. Two soldiers were shot dead by snipers on the western end.  IAF planes overflew Beirut and left a wake up call in the form of sonic booms and sent a message through the press that if they don't pipe down, we'll turn off the lights!
I got a call from Richard and Mara asking about the thick black smoke coming from the eastern end of town. Not having a window on that side of the house yet, I had no idea what they were on about. Mara was on the verge of hysterics. I called Achy and he answered his phone, not with "hi", but with " The Neviot storage area" Neviot is a bottled mineral water factory in town. The storage area they use for plastic ottles-the BIG ones was appparently torched along with an abandoned bus. Mara calmed right down when I called her back with the info. A little later Achy called back and said he's in town and wanted to come over. I told him "GREAT bring beer, please" Bless him, he arrived with beer and bourekas. I love it when he can pop in for a visit.
Today was a bit busier than the first two days of the week. I went to Bezeq and got the unpaid phone bills for Richard and Mara to pay, found them at their soon to open coffee shop, had coffee, a nice gossip about STL, then went to meet Rivka and David at the secondhand shop in the industrial area. I had hoped to do some grocery shopping as the cupboard is bare, but it didn't happen. Good thing Achy showed up with bourekas! I'll do the shopping tomorrow. When I got home, Meir and co. desended to fix the the stuff in the new room. Everyone went wild over the bookcase. Rivka and I shoved some mini pizzas in the oven for a snack, then they left to go home. By then I was feeling a bit woozy because I hadn't had any water all day, so I sprawled on the bed with a bottle of water, and rested until Achy arrived. It's 23:45 now, and I'm headed for bed. Tons of stuff to do tomorrow including having another go at STL.

No comments: