Monday, October 17, 2005

RAINY RUMINATIONS

What a grand evening it was. I took Peg out for a short run with Harley Too. Up by "The Circles" I saw dark clouds racing to cover the moon, and thought, "Ah, yes, rain" On the way back we stopped to chat with Orna and Yechia who were sitting outside chatting and looking at the clouds and intermittent lightning. Yechiya doesn't like dogs and every time Peg tried to get him to pet him, he moved away. Poor Peggles. All he ever wants is a bit of love. He finally decided it was time for payback and lifted his leg and wet on the very edge of Yechiya's sandal. Perfect aim. Yechiya didn't even notice until Raz, Sophia's kid asked what that puddle right next to Yechiya's toes was. I was laughing so hard by this time that it was rude. When Yechiya found out what the puddle was, he went racing home muttering that canine urine is poison. Peg is now a hero. Sweet as Yechiya can be, he is also a bit of a pest and anyone who can get him to leave for any reason immediately turns into a local legend. Poor Yechiya. At just about that time it started to drip rain and by the time we got home it was pouring down. I brought Peg in and clipped him to his inside chain and left the door open. Ah the scent of first rain. There's nothing quite like it. I sat by the door just breathing it in while the news was on. There's still a hint of that scent in the air this morning, even though the sun is out. It's too bad that can only happen once a year. It's also too bad that the dirt that Peg will track in doesn't come in with that scent too. I wish there could be a first rain several times a year, but, once a year is better than nonce a year, right? It's starting to cloud over, so I'd best get into gear if I want to go out, and I do.

No comments: