Thursday, October 20, 2005

GOING TO ENGLAND

Now that I've found a reliable Pegasus sitter, I can travel! The next trip will be to a Star Trek con in Bournemouth England. I went to it 2 years ago with Jipster because Dwight Schultz was there. That was just about the only reason, unless you want to count the fact that I wanted a trip. The con itself was a blast, and I could indulge in one of my favorite pastimes, people watching. Jips and I spent a lot of time in my 'meet and greet' position near the front door as well as in a strategic spot in a corner.
About two days after the crap con in Holland,(the con was crap, but we had a great time) I decided that sfball was a must. Granted I don't much care about Star Trek, and am so not a Trekkie, but that is one well run con and the people that go are just great. Yup, I'm going to it, and intend to go to Wales and as many other places as I can squeeze into a week. There are a few people I really want to see when I'm there, mostly VAers.(Fingers, want company?) I must get busy with a map and start planning properly.
Got my annual flu shot today, and stopped in to tell Dr. Sawbones that we aren't doing any more structural repairs until after England and the first project will be to see if we can do anything about my free floating collar bone. He gave me the forms for X rays and an ultra sound. I'll do that next week, and then we can figure out if anything can done about it.
I went into the bank to see if I could pay off the balance on my credit card, and of course, it can't be done. How annoying. Ah, well, the 2nd isn't that far away, so I'll just wait. Insane Israeli banks.
As happens every year with the flu shot, I'm sleepy. The nurse who shot me and I had a good giggle about the bird flu hysteria! Really, it's too much. Ok, so zillions of birds fly over us, but our poultry business is pretty modern and chickens are under roofs, not out and about just waiting for a migrating bird to infect them. It seems people are even afraid to buy chicken.
Either there will be a pandemic, or there won't. Why get all crazy about it now. In any event it will be different to the one in the 1500s. Medicine has advanced a wee bit since then as has personal hygiene. Indoor plumbing means we can keep our hands clean. Stuff they didn't have way back when, or even dream of then. Come on, folks, get a grip. File this bird flu thing under earthquakes, volcanoes hurricanes, tornados, and other things you can't do anything about and get on with your lives.
I'm going to bed. Friday tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oohh when are you coming?

F.

Purplegimp said...

I'll be flying on the 10th, the weekend at Bournemouth, and the following week to visit and generally freak you all with my driving! And I think I lost your eaddy too in the last great computer crash!