Saturday, October 15, 2005

THE NEXT DAY

Maybe I should just call this week "Unhinged At Gimp House"? I finally brought Peg in last night and somehow managed to prop that screen door up in a position it held all night. Inspection this morning revealed that it's not so bad after all. The pin from the lower hinge is missing in action, but it will be easy enough to find something else to use. I'll just add "new screen door" to the growing list of things to do in and around Gimp House after the estate settles! Actually, that can go on the Insurance policy list.
I *did* manage to make my coffee without incident, but, dribbled some on the keyboard. Nothing new in that.
Pay day is Sunday, and if I'm very very careful, I'll be ok until the insurance check gets here. Pay day after that is Nov. 28. This early payment is due to the holidays. For once it actually is ok for me this time, even if the check is delayed. There are so many it doesn't work for that it's scary. Monthly pay days took a while to used to, but once you get into the rhythm it's just fine. With the exception of travel, everything is on auto debit and most of those amounts don't change much from month to month.
I really don't like money and the fact that there's absolutely no way to live without it. I'm not complaining so much for myself because my benefits are actually quite good. It's people like Orna and Danny who are at the mercy of the NIS(National Insurance Service-our equivalent of Social Security) and if someone somewhere decided that one of them has broken an arcane rule, they get nothing. They haven't gotten anything for over 4 months now. There really should be a law that says they can't stop benefits for any reason until after the appeal process is finished. The way it is now, they stop the benefits, then pay up retroactive if you win the appeal. In the mean time, starve to death with your 4 kids, live without water, phone and electrickery until then, unless you happen to have a wealthy family, or me for a neighbor. Most of my present financial issues right now are a result of helping them through this morass of bureaucratic crap. Ah, well, they have to eat and pay bills, and one day soon, they'll get their benefits back. The NIS thing is kind of like the old Israeli joke: Prove you don't have a sister!
The weather is showing signs of changing, and rain is predicted for the middle of the week. It's only a 60% chance, but I'd be very happy if it does rain. The nights are cooling down too, which is really nice. I'm ready for some nice violent thunder and lightning storms. There's nothing I enjoy more, unless it's snow. Haven't had any white stuff since 1992 up here, and it sure would be nice to have at least one proper snowstorm this winter. However, if not, I can always go out and look at Mt. Hermon and imagine the sharp cold air.
It's time to stop procastinating and install Office. No reason for putting it off, just lazy, and I promised Orly's girls that we'd write a story during succot vacation, which is coming up fast, so I'd better get it done PDQ.

No comments: