Wednesday, October 12, 2005

ODDITIES AND SODDITIES

It's Erev Yom HaKippurim and this jet lag, as well as time change, have me waking up at 0630. That's just fine on days like today when I want to get into town early to pick up the local papers, raid the ATM, then get a few things at the grocery store. Waking up early means I can have my first coffee while reading e mails, then get dressed and go. I was out of here by 0915 today and dropped off a thing my clinic needs to pay an old ER bill, then the raid on the ATM, then get the papers. Traffic was totally insane today, cars all over the place with Israeli drivers. Even the cops were driving nutsy today (not sure that's any different from any other day) but today it stood out. I decided to take the north by west, then, east route to the shopping center I wanted, and it was better traffic wise. There were only 3 things I needed from the store, but, as usual, it took well over an hour to get them and get out. While waiting in the line at the only register Harley Too can go through, one of the gals who worked with me at hotel started to interrogate me on why I buy ready made salads from the deli rather than make them myself. I smiled and suggested that she try it with one hand tied behind her back, as I only have one fully functioning hand, not to mention that I can't stand up long enough to do anything like that and my chair doesn't fit in the kitchen. Sheesh. That after yesterday when an old friend who works there tried to convince me that if I wanted to I could walk rather than use Harley Too. Where do these people come up with these things? Ok, I can walk a bit and do. I can lurch around the house, the longest distance in here being less than 10 meters, but that doesn't mean that with practice I can walk around a grocery store! And my left leg is getting worse daily. It's developed a weird shake and is very, very weak. I would love nothing more than to be able to walk like I used to, but, as that isn't likely to happen, I'm just thankful that I can get out and around on Harley Too. In a way, I guess I feel a little sorry for those *why don't you* people. If they don't get that, what else don't they get? Maybe I should scrounge around my tool box and see if there's something in there I can use to adjust my attitude?

No comments: