Thursday, November 18, 2004

MATERNAL MUTTERINGS

I figured out a long time ago that I have been a total failure as a mother. Aron, the same child who, while in High School, read a story in the local paper about a single mother who was having trouble financially, and pompously pronounced that the older son should leave school, go get a job to help, yet, refused to the same when in the same situation himself, did everything in his power to keep me way from his wedding, is long lost to me. His sister has taken a different route. She didn't call to thank me for her birthday gift, of the cards Peg and Raggy sent. Fine. She saved me the cost of the anniversary/Hanukkah gift I had planned for them. How the hells did she end up so rude? She is the daughter of a woman who stills sends proper thank you notes by snail mail. Not even an e mail from her. Her defense will be that *I* should have called *her*. Sorry, but that's not the way it works. After all the fights and no talking periods I had with The Philmore, I was one the one who broke the brogus barrier. That's the way it works. The role of martyr doesn't sit well on her. By the time she figures out that the problem is that we are too much alike for her comfort, it will be too late. Of course, what goes around comes around and she will have as much trouble, if not more trouble with her kids. She just won't see it until it's too late. But that's the way things work.
I'm having a grand old time with the rain, lightening and thunder. I took the dogs out for a quick walk and it started raining just as we got back home! I hope it lets up enough for me to out for a quick newspaper run in the morning. The forecasts say Friday night and Saturday will ne wild. Yippee.
Mr and Mrs. Wallygator will be arriving in Jerusalem on Monday. I can't wait. When I find out what day they have free, I'll call Zehava and see if she can put me up for the night and to come visit. If not, then maybe Savta Rivka? Or, I can just come home that home night. Round trip Jerusalem in one day is not my idea of fun, bit it will be well worth it to see them. I've been sitting here for 4 hours and my knees are protesting with picket signs! It just might be time to give them a rest.

No comments: