Wednesday, October 13, 2004

A TASTE OF WINTER

Oh, yes, winter is on it's way. We got a few minutes rain yesterday afternoon. Not even enough to bring out that wonderful first rain of the season smell from the newly wet ground, but just enough to hear. It was supposed to be cooler today, but I'm sitting here arguing with myself about turning on the a/c. Right now the thought of the electric bill is winning and it's not on yet.
Today started with something that only happen here. I smoke and have no inclination to stop. I buy my own cigarettes and NEVER ever bum them from others. Israeli smokers have absolutely no quams about walking up to a complete stranger and asking for one, and sometimes some. I was probably one of the first to experience the next level. The dogs were outside for their morning business, I was right here at the computer, with the door open. A complete stranger braved Peg and Raggy to get to doorway and took a few steps inside. Thinking it was someone for the medical/crip supply place next door; I get a lot of those; I told her that this is a private house. She said that she knew that, then asked me for a few cigarettes. The answer was a resounding NO! What have we come to that someone who is out of fags can waltz right into someone's home and expect to get?
That was fun, not. Ok, I'm sitting next to the months supply, but it won't last long if I start handing out to every Jane, Sarah and Jill who come in asking.
I've had a life long yearning for a canopy or brass bed. There's one advertised in the Visa booklet for 990 shekels. Being my father's daughter-for once *I* actually agree with this Philmoreism- I went to my local furniture store to see what they have. The closest is twice the price. A quick www search solved the problem. I can do a faux thing with curtain rods on the ceiling and some material and a staple gun. I'll go find someone to help put it all together as I'm not exactly able to reach the ceiling from my wheelchair!
I woke up to a mail from Alice. She sounds fine, but busy. I can't imagine her any other way. She's the only person I know who still is, was and always be even more hyper active than I was. These days I'm downright lazy. There are so many things I want to do, but just can't find the energy to get off my big butt and do them. Ah, well, this has been happening in cycles since I cripped out. I'll get to things when I get to them. Until then, I'll just coast and hope for a lot of really rainy stormy days that will force me to stay in a lot this winter.

No comments: