Sunday, October 17, 2004

GOT SHOT TODAY AND OTHER STUFF

I diligently set my cellphone to go off at 04:45 and actually got to sleep early. I woke up after 07:00 and got to hear the last 45 minutes of Dark Matters. Not a good start to the week!
Yup, I got shot today! Teadrinker and I have been talking about our flu and pneumonia shots lately. There has been much speculation as to when I'm due to have my anti "ammonia" shot. She says next year as in '06, I said this year as in '05. I was right! I'm due in August '05. We've also been wondering why the US doesn't buy it's flu shots from us. So......off I went to the clinic, and after a much fun confrontation with a Russian immigrant, who stood up and came to tower over me in a bad attempt at intimidation, I had my flu shot! Safe for another winter. What was the deal with the Russian? Well....there's an unwritten law that crips don't wait in line, and as a long time member of my clinic AND as a crip, I don't even have to make an appointment to get on the list of who goes in to the doc when. The Russian wandered in and started interrogating everyone who was waiting for the doc as to what time they appear on the list. Not being on the list, all he got from me was my *drop dead* look and told that, 'she' is next, and I'm after 'her. He went on with his list crap, got up and came over. I told him to sit down and shut up and wait his turn because I can get up too, and unless he wants a complaint filed with the cops, he'd best start behaving according to Israeli norms. One of the clerks was working in an office with an open door and saw/heard the whole thing. She came out and told the jerk how things work and that unless he is close to being in need of trauma treatment, the crip goes first. Sooooo, he sat back down muttering under his breath in Russian, and I got my shot! I got sent home to rest for a couple of days in case of side effects, and hadn't been in for 5 minutes when the phone rang. It was the cable tech. He told me that there's a problem with one of my boxes and can he come check it out? Huhn? Of course I agreed, and he arrived, and started checking out the box on the new TV. He couldn't get it to behave and brought in a new one which also didn't behave, so yet another new one! Third time lucky. The new TV had the annoying habit of flashing the TV's name on the set up screen at odd times. It's stopped doing that and every now and then parts of the screen *break up* I'm assuming those break ups are from the satellite feed to the cable. Teadrinker, who gets satellite, has periodic "black blinks" where she loses the picture for a split nano second but can still see the translation strip. We figure it's a satellite thing, most likely caused by a raghead martyr getting to wherever it is they get to and not finding any virgins waiting for him, crashes into the comm birds on his way back down. Makes as much sense as anything else. So, cable and I are even. I called them a couple of weeks ago and they said the tech would be here at a certain time and he never came! Today, he came without me calling!
Regressing to before I went to get shot; I called STL and told him yet again, that time is up and I'm sick and tired of his fairy tales and that he is a pathological liar and that I don't believe a word he says. He whined and tried to convince me that he's honest and that some of his friends think that I'm unreasonable. Fine, I said. I don't care what your pals think of me. I want my money back NOW. Now being by the end of the week. I'll update the site tomorrow, then send the whole thing to his brother, and some people in Bangor. and a few others from the old phone bills.
What is it with talented entertainers dying suddenly at a relatively young age? We lost Uzi Chitman today to a heart attack at 52. Add him to Richard Biggs, and a whole long list of others I can't think of at the moment and there almost seems to be a pattern. Elvis is on the list too. I don't get it. Recruits for a heavenly choir? I don't know, it just struck me today, that there seems to be an inordinate number of musically and otherwise talented people who are popping off way too soon.
Teadrinker keeps asking me if I've written about her f**king freezer here yet. I keep threatening to, then forget what it was I wanted to write about. Last night I tricked her into telling me! Ah, yes, the freezer. She bought a freezer that has to be defrosted every year or so and it comes with an interesting arrangement for draining the water. The first time she described it to me she couldn't find the correct terminology, so said that one piece had a 'female' part, and the other a 'male' part. My comment should be obvious at this point; along the lines of oh.........so that's how you defrost your f**cking freezer. How exciting! There! Now I can tell her I posted it. I keep telling her that the only way to get her side heard is get a computer and start her own blog! That day is closer than she thinks.

No comments: