Saturday, March 26, 2005

WHAT DAY IS IT?

I can still remember clearly the first time it happened to me, even though it was way back in the 6th decade of that last century. I woke up in a panic that I'd be late to school. I was in Jr. High at the time, got dressed and ran out of the house. When I was about half way to school, which was a good mile from my house, I noticed that no one else was going that way. I got to school and it was closed. At that point I figured out that it was a no school day. I can't remember why; maybe it was a Saturday, Sunday, or a vacation break. I *do* remember feeling like a total idiot as I trudged home.
Years after that my What Day Is It Syndrome took a new direction and I found myself making appointments for 'tomorrow' 'Sunday' and 'the 27th', all at the same time! After the first time I did that, I tried to keep things straight with a calendar. It mostly worked and when I made 2 appointments for the same day and time, I could switch one of them.
My WDII Syndrome has taken on a new twist. Now I'm having trouble remembering what day it is when I wake up. It's a very odd disoriented feeling and I end up looking at my cell phone to find out. Since this new twist I've been telling myself what day/night it is before I go to sleep, but at least once a week it gets away from me, as does the week. I am always surprised by Thursday, which is not a day of any importance....no must watch TV shows, or anything like that. It's just the day before Friday, the end of our week, when I like to get up early so I can get into town in time to pick up the local papers. The worst day for it to happen on is Sunday. Trust me, it is very disconcerting to wake up on Sunday and think it's maybe still Saturday, when everything is closed here. There *is* some comfort in having the cell phone to hand. I mean imagine going through life not knowing what day it is? There was a time when, like Mac on Jag, I knew the time without a watch, but if I can't keep the days straight, what use is that? I'm still pretty good at that and can call the time to 15 minutes or so.
Ah, yes, the local papers. One of them has been an institution in town for over 20 years, but I think the owners are tired of it. They recently hired a new editor and star reporter who have turned that paper into an unreadable mess. I think I may have mentioned this before, but it's getting worse by the week. I always thought that in addition to other things, the editor was supposed to correct grammar and syntax so the reader would have a fighting chance at figuring out what the article was about. Not our intrepid new editor. He seems to think that the more obscurely it's written, the better it is. And you thought *I* had syntax and long convoluted sentences! I'm not even close to his level! Ok, ok, enough already. I'll bring Peg in and go bake something fun.

No comments: