Thursday, August 19, 2004

SCHIZO IS PUTTING IT MILDLY

Yesterday was the BEST and WORST. It started out a bit iffy with a peril filled treck across the mess that was my sidewalk to the taxi, and the brief argument with the idiot guard at the bus station who didn't want to let us in. Right, like I can get to the Haifa platform any other way. It's either that way, or ride a wheelchair down stairs. I don't think so. In the end he saw reason, or could it have been that he got nervous when I pulled out my cell phone? Things were uneventfull until we got to the Mfratzit-a sattelite bus station just out side Haifa. I had two choices, to continue by bus or take a taxi. Just thinking about the up hill roll to the hospital from the bus stop made the descision for me. Taxi! Egged now has it's own taxi company and the taxis are allowed inside the station proper. I wonder how much the scene Irit and I created there last year had to do with that? It's irrelevant as they now allow their own taxis in!
I got to Rambam nice and early and rolled off to find the right place. It was duly found and I checked in. The clerk told me to come back closer to the right time, so I rolled off to look for a coffee shop. Don't ask. It was at least a mile away and up a steepish ramp. At least there were rails that I could use to pull myself up. At the top I met a woman coming out with her own personal wheelchair driver. We had a short nice chat during which she asked me why I was there alone. I'm still abit taken aback that a fellow WC occupant would ask that. The answer is simple, I'm an adult and don't need or want a keeper.(I did say it politely) What I DO need is an electric chair. Oh do I ever. I continued up to the coffee shop, had a nice cup of coffee, bought some water, and went back to get shot with some Glow In the Dark stuff for the scan and was sent off to drink a liter and a half of water.......back to the coffee shop......I swear they moved it, it was much farther away this time. I had a lovely salad, and lots of water, then back for the GID test. Having only one arm and leg that are sort of ok makes for an interesting wheelchair propulsion method. I mostly go in reverse, pushing with my right leg-the one with the trashed knee and wheeling with my right arm. I did pretty well yesterday and only ran into two posts at full speed reverse! By the time I left Rambam, the top of my right foot was bleeding as was the eczema on my right hand from the wheeling. Egged didn't have any taxis available(at this point I found there was no way to get down the curb to cross the street to get to the bus stop) and 2 cabbies at the hospital said no......"don't want you bleeding all over the cab." I finally found one, and when he left me off outside the Mfratzit, (they can't go in) the guard called another guard to push me to the Kiryat Shemonah platform. Things sure have changed there. The trip home was ok except for the pain. The top of my foot and the cramps in my arm. That asshole quack who refuses to send the PT to do an electric chair report had better get out of the country real soon. Letters are going out tomorrow and he will not be happy. I went to the doctor today and got the damage listed in my file on computer.
Then I went to Mara and Richard's where I discovered the closest thing to a Chemex coffee maker there is here. I bought it and some filters and R gave me some coffee for it. Yum. Aside from the pain, I'm a happy gimp, and greatly anticipating the war over the electric chair. I'll probably get a Texas style one before it's over!

No comments: