Thursday, August 05, 2004

LOUISE HAYES ABELON BOOKCASE

Thank God for Alice. She gave me a heads up on Louise's death. I've been expecting it for a week or so now, but it was much better to get a mail from Alice than to just stumble on it in the paper. I'm very sad that she's gone, but Beck says she's out of pain now, in a better place with better people, and that is good. We had a nostalgic moment thinking of our mothers together.
In a way, it's a bit easier for me than it is for Beck. I remember her mother as she was when I left 24 years ago, not as she was with Atzheimers towards the end. I have always had a thought for Mrs. A when I saw the summer weight quilt she gave me back in '72, at my bridal shower, especially when I'm sewing up a seam.
I told Beck about the bookcase, which of course was inspired by the first one of it's kind that I ever saw; the one in their basement. She was a bit surprised that I even remembered it. It was a long long time ago, but I always wanted one just like it, and now I have one! I'm going to have 2 plaques made. One for the bookcase; The Louise Hayes Abelon Memorial Bookcase and one for over the door to the room; The Harry and Louise Abelon Memorial Library. They were all such a major part of my life when I was growing up. There were times when Beck and I were not sure whose house was mine, and which was hers. Both houses felt like home to both of us. I have so many wonderful memories of those days. It's sad that such a major part of them is gone, but comforting to think that our mothers are together again. I've been weepy on and off since Alice called.
I had to go out right after I talked to Beck. Richard and Mara opened their coffee shop today and there was a huge do in the area the shop is in. The Americans had the good sense to open on the same day as the Morrocan Judaism Festival. Talk about timing! They were run off their feet. It's good practise, and good exposure. People came back for seconds, which is a good sign. When I was there this morning Mara mentioned that someone wanted "ness caffe'-instant with milk and sugar and that she told them they don't do 'ness' I suggested that instead of telling them they don't do 'ness' to just make 'white esspresso' and shut up! Richard thought that was brilliant! No one will know except that white esspresso is better than ness and costs the same.
I have to get up early tomorrow because Achy is picking me up around 10:00 to take me to the dress rehearsal of his concert, and I have to get air in one of BBC's tyres, shower and dressed, and with any luck get the local papers. Cooking for the weekend is done. A huge pan of veggies, and chicken that is ready to go into the fridge. Yum. I knicked a piece of chicken and it's GOOD! I also have to have a word with cable because it's started with the self disconnect again. It's starting to get old. And the a/c in the living room is not cooling. Have to get the techie over to check it. I opened the door to the new room and turned that one on and it actually is doing a pretty good job of getting the whole place comfortable. Of course I have to remember to close the barrier to keep the dogs out. I'll turn it off now, close the door and take the dogs out for the night clintons, then to sleep. Crying makes me tired.

No comments: