Saturday, April 09, 2005

THE REASON I SAVE CORDS

Anyone so unfortunate as to spend more than 10 minutes in the spare/guest room, inevitably asks why I have a box full of jumbled electrical/coaxial/cable/telephone cords. It's for the simplest reason. Never know when you'll need one!
Yesterday, Yechiel, the handsome, and his computer whiz came over to install the DVD and the TV card I got for the computer so that I can start Project Video to Disc. Yechiel, the handsome, had troubles with both VCRs, and told me the clutch on the Toshiba is gone and it might be a good idea to fix it. As the Panasonic hasn't recorded since I started to use it, I used it to watch and to reverse/forward. It's kind of stupid to keep a nonrecording VCR for just those functions, so I asked Yechiel the handsome, if he thought it would be a good idea to repair the Panasonic or just get a new VCR? He said that the Panasonic is better than any VCR made these days and off he went with it to try to fix it.
The Whiz had troubles when the computer went into self turn off mode every time he moved it to do something, and he blythely informed me that the cord is shot. This morning I carried on merrily and figured out how to save the video to file, and all was going along just fine, when I decided to move the already rewound tapes into the *liberry*. In order to that, I have to put the keyboard on the table and push the chair in. That little movement made the computer turn itself back off. I futzed about with the cable for a while and when my frustration level sent me looking for my hammer, I quit and went to watch Charles and Camilla get hitched. I kept the cable on the back burner of my mind and tried to call Child Genius every hour....no answer. I came back here and fooled around with it for a bit, then called Gerald, who said that maybe he can have someone drop off a cable tomorrow. At that point, I went into the spare/guest room and went through the cable box. I actually found 2 that match, and the first one did the trick! Now I can wait for Tuesday when Gerald will bring the old computer home and put another 256 RAM strip in this so I'll be able to other things while vids are running.
I put the down time to good use DVD wise, and watched Harvey twice! Hey! DVDs are easier to work than VCRs . This is going to be good. The new DVD does everything except make coffee. It reads all the formats and areas,stops,and does stuff,and even has a kareoke function! The TV card software has capture capability too. I'm going to enjoy this. I'm feeling quite pleased with myself right about now.

No comments: