Friday, September 24, 2004

YOM KIPPUR EVE

I haven't had a great week, even though overall it was better than it was bad. For some reason,(human nature?) the bad overshadows the good, and this weeks bad wasn't really that bad! The worst has been that STL is still jerking me around and as result no England. I'm having a really hard time accepting that. A major result of that is that I've had absolutely no desire to be at the computer. The few times I've been out, posts have written themselves in my head, but I haven't gotten them on here. I think I'll try a memory exercise!
I went out one day to stock up on weeds and whole wheat rolls and stopped in at the bookstore to see if the new Cornwell is in yet. It's not, but they had the new Clancy and a Sandra Brown. Bought them both and have been reading the Sandra Brown avidly. I saved Clancy for tomorrow. I love his Jack Ryan books. On my way to that mall, I ran straight into road construction that required a detour. On the way home I got smart and went into the one way almost street that leads straight to Gimp House, the wrong way and took perverse pleasure in not only going in the wrong way, but on the wrong side as well. It will be less fun going to the mall(the right way) but I'll be able to look forward to going home the wrong way on the wrong side! I felt like kicking myself for not thinking of that earlier, but it looks like this old dog *can* learn new tricks!
They changed the clock here back to Standard Gimp Time Tuesday night/Wednesday morning, and I managed to pretty much get off my night owl cycle, by forcing myself to stay awake in the afternoon and not have a nap. It worked out nicely because I had an appointment with my sawbones, and I got there early. That Glow In The Dark test was well worth the pain as it shows even damage to my left knee than we thought. It's enough to get my 80% back AND there's some nasty stuff in my right shoulder that makes the electric chair a slam dunk! I guess maybe you have to be a crip to understand why that's good news.....
Teadrinker caught me on the phone yesterday just before dark. I heard an odd noise outside and contorted around to look at the street. The wind was pushing a solid wall of dust straight up the street towards me. A SOLID WALL. I've never seen anything like it. WOWSERS.
Today I was up early.......still on Standard Gimp Time and raced through e mails, then, charged into town for the newspapers, and almost ran over a bunch of Russians shlepping tons of stuff home from the supermarket. God forbid they should run out of food on a fast day. I so totally detest them. I'm in a quandry about it. On the one hand, we had to allow them to come here under the same criteria Hitler used to define who is a Jew, which means Russians with no more claim to Judaism than one grandparent can come here and be granted full rights as citizens. On the other hand, all those non Jews want things to be the way they were back in the USSR and demand pork and other concessions. That leaves us between a rock and a hard place. I don't have the answer, I'm not even sure there *is* one. I just detest them.
I finally had a spark of genius. I've been trying to figure out how to "curtain" the window in the *liberry* without buying a proper curtain and rod. It finally hit me, hang a sheet or something over the top of the window, and close it. I found an old while table cloth and hung it! Now all the synagogue goers who hang around the shelter outside my window won't be able to look in at me while they have their illegal smokes. The room hadn't even been started at this time last year and the windows were next to the computer so I saw all the *sinners*.
I'll be doing my usual crip fast. Water-doctors orders, and a soy thingy with my meds. That's it. I have the Clancy book and the local papers already next to the recliner. The TV will stay on Fox News as there isn't much else on. I've been doing a lot of soul searching as is appropriate for the days before Yom Kippur and come to few conclusions about myself. I'm not going into details here, but there hopefully will be some noticeable results implemented here. Ooooh, that was weird! I just heard crackles when I moved my neck. I wonder what the is!
Ok, That's it for this year. Tzom kal, v'gmar chatima tova!

No comments: