Tuesday, September 28, 2004

A FUN DAY (NOT)

Spending the whole day babysitting the computer while scan disk and defrag ran on all 3 drives was not exactly what I had planned for today, but that is what I did, until 19:30 when I discovered that it was all in vain. I guess I have to stop futzing around and get Gerald over here. Something is very wrong. At only 7 months, this computer is acting worse than my old one and I bought *that* one in '99 second hand and it still ran, poorly, but it worked! I am verily unhappy about this. I'll just have to get him over here and see what he has to say about it. Maybe upgrading to 2000 pro will help. I've actually heard good things about it and there's no way I'll go to XP.I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong here. 98 is supposed to very stable, so why is it acting so weird? Freezes and illegal notices all the time, are just a few of the things on the list, and how come the scan on *C* gave back an error notice, and said it was fixed and ALL the diagnostics I ran said it's just fine? I know I'm not even close to an expert, but I have learned a fair amount since '99. The way the firewall is acting makes me think there just might be a trojan horse in here that escapes the Symantec check. Every time I bring the firewall up I get a notice about some kind of line error and do I want to run it anyway? I've already un and reinstalled the firewall three times! And now, the Garthwaite daily page gives an illegal procedure notice and shuts down Outlook Express and I go read it on the net which is a pain because there it was in OE. I know Billy Gates donates to the democreeps, but that's taking things a bit too far. Oh, hells. I'm going to run scan disc one more time, take a shower while it's running, crawl into bed, read and watch TV. I'll be out most of the morning and just don't have the patience to deal with this now.

No comments: