Sunday, September 26, 2004

CLOCKS


I've never found time to be anything more than an arbitrary method of keeping in step with others. I don't go wild if my clocks and watches are not synchronized to the second to some fancy schmancy atomic clock. 5-10 minutes either way is exact enough for me.
Some years ago we started going to Daylight Saving Time every summer even though the ultra religious were dead set against it. I never understood why. As if time was handed down with the 10 commandments and etched in stone never to be changed. There are 24 hours in a day, right? And night and day have the same relative number of hours at any given time of year, right? So what's the big deal? They say that there's one more hour light on DLST, but there really isn't, is there? So twice a year we change our clocks. Big deal. Or so I thought until last night when I wished for a Cray computer to help me figure out what time to set the cell phone for to wake up in time for Dark Matters. We changed our clocks, but California didn't-the nerve! And after endless figuring, I thought I had it right. I thought I had it right until Dark Matters ended abruptly an hour early!
I was right to be concerned about things going too smoothly two weeks ago! Now I have to decide if I'm going to get up at 04:45 next week to listen in while Dwight is in England, and I'm not.......more on STL in a bit.
After DM I read the rest of my posts and then got dressed and went to town to get 550 shekels and a carton of fags. I came home and settled in to watch Charmed and Highlander. Teadrinker called to ask what I knew about us deading some raghead Hamas leader in a car in Damascus. I still know nothing about it except the the guy got very dead. No addycoookers(helicopters) or other noises that indicate tension up here. News is on now, so I guess I'll know soon enough.
One thing that I absolutely do not understand is how those ever so self righteous peace freaks don't understand that there are at least two parties to every conflict and if one side carries on in spite of repeated efforts from the other side, things will continue to go boom, and people to get dead. Peace can not be imposed by one side alone.
Another thing that has me ripping hair out is the whole terror situation in Iraq. How is it that so few people understand that the terrorists are increasing their activity in the hope of influencing the American election. Sheesh. That Kerry crap (apologies to crap) is playing it for all it's worth, when he should be sitting in Leavenworth as a convicted traitor, not charging around the United States trying to unseat Bush.
Now our Antiquities guys are worried that the south west corner of Temple Mount might collapse during Ramadan as a result of work the Wakf did there. Yeah, I could like that. Thousands of them up there and it all falls down. Talk about a message from above! The Wakf guy is denying any danger and accusing us of provocation. We shall see! They'll blame us when it crashes, won't they?
The power went off for a while and stupidly, I took a nap. After all that struggle to get out of Night Owl mode!
Bat Chen called with great news. She won her case against her son's father! She won big. Good for her. She might come up tomorrow for a few days. Good thing Fanny's coming tomorrow. I enjoy having Bat Chen here. I'll go by Freja tomorrow and get another turkey. She's never had one and I love doing them!
Oh, yeah, STL. He's moaning and groaning that he's sick with something. I told him that I hope it's painfull. He said something to the effect it's not nice to wish someone ill, to which I could only say that what he did to me was even less nice and that he would do well to avoid being cursed by me! I'm convinced that he got the whole $ 500 and only sent me half. It's time to turn up the heat. Bat Chen is good at stuff like this. Maybe we'll be able to go to Safad and have some fun.
I was even more pissed off this morning when I saw an old Subaru for sale, an automatic, that would have been nice to have until I get around to getting a proper crip car. Thanks to him, I can't do any more than wish.....one way or another he's going to pay. Not that Subaru is my dream car, I hate them, but as a stop gap, it will do just fine. Next time I see it I'll get the phone number and check it out.

No comments: