Thursday, May 20, 2004

Feel like Dudu Topaz

No time, there's no time! I wish there more hours in the day. 24 hours are just not enough, especially with guests of the semi permanent type. They don't bother much, but they aren't really that much of a bother except in the evening when I'd like to be writing here. I think I've forgotten most of what I wanted to say here and of course it never entered my mind to jot notes in THE NOTEBOOK! I still have to catch up on last week.

wednesday was the day my gimp buddies and I decided would be the day we all meet up at the annual Accessories for Disabled Show in Tel Aviv. I dutifully set my alarm clock for 05:45 so as to be awake when Aurelia arrived to pick me up at 07:00. Setting an alarm clock to go off on time is something any self respecting 52(51) year old should be able to do, right? Wrong! I woke up when Aurelia called from outside! In spite of my incompetence, we got to the Show only 5 minutes late. No! She didn't speed. Once there I liberated a small electric scooter from the company that sold me Harley. I roamed around the displays and saw a few things that I would have bought had we not had to leave very early. Ah, well, there's always the telephone and the internet! We got home at around 17:15. Plenty of time to recover and rest up for my medical exam in Afula the next day, or so I thought.
Thursday's plan was to go to Afula early, meet up with Irit and Romi and have a nice lunch before Irit dropped me at the exam place. All was going well. I even got a letter from my doc they needed at the exam AND get to the bus station on time. The bus pulled in on time and I glanced at the number and SAW 842, and got on. At Golani junction I realized it was in fact the 845 which goes no where near Afula! The driver let me off at Golani and got my chair out from under the bus. At this point my right hand decided to try to amputate my right big toe. One of the "feet" from the wheelchair fell on that toe! Two darling girl soldiers ran over to help me cross the 6 lanes of the junction. My orders from Irit were to call her from Golani Junction. I did, even though she actually meant for me to call when we'd gone by the junction! She was not at all pleased to hear just how literally I'd taken her instruction. The correct bus finally arrived and Irit picked me up at the bus station in Afula, we went to lunch and then she dropped me off for the exam. I was the first one there, which was the plan. Somehow I managed to get myself home, gigglong at the whole thing to myself. I won't know for at least another week if I got the classification I need, but at least it's over and done with for now. My toe got spray bandaged first thing and I Bandaided it for good measure. It still hurts a bit, but not as much as my arms and shoulders from all the wheely wheely I did over those 2 days. They hurt a lot less now, so it doesn't hurt to type! Going to that exam bloody but unbowed was good for the results I hope for and well worth it. The only irritation was Irit's reaction to the whole thing. She was upset whereas the other friends who heard the story cracked up laughing for the simple reason that I was giggling while telling it!Spending the weekend trying to recover wasn't quite enough, things still ache a bit,and the toe is taking it's own sweet time to heal. But things are better every day, except I'm sleepy all the time.Then there was the great ceiling fan incident! At least I had the good sense to hurt my toe, though there are those who will say I must have brain damage from it! I'm hardly sitting at home waiting for the mail. I went on a fan/ceiling/light expedition. At Home Center there was a big sign with all the fan models and the prices, so I decided on the 159 shekel model and asked the guy to take two to the cashier. Bad as I am at math, even *I* know that 159x2 is not 500 shekels! "Ooops" said I "The sign said 159" "I'll call the guy" who then turned up and tried to explain to me that the price was only until yesterday. He then took himself off to see if there really was a sign and came back to tell me "No sign" I made him come back with me and there it was THE SIGN! Poor guy got quite a lecture on deceptive business practices and I got the fans for 300! I bet that misleading sign is still up. You'd be surprised how many people don't pay attention, especially when buying more than 1 thing will say in their favor that the sign was gone the next day!
Oh, dear, Eema Rivka and David have disappeared into thin air. The lock is on their door from the outside, their car is still here as are their things. Where are they? David usually goes out for a walk in the morning while Rivka stays and chats with me. This is too weird and I have to go out and get a letter from the sawbones that says I need an electric chair! I wanted to ambush him before he starts with the patients who had the good sense to sign up to see him. I also need to buy a new fax, mine committed suicide by diving head first off it's perch and self destructing in a zillion pieces on the floor. On second look, the lock isn't on the door, they must be inside, now, what to do without being rude? The both appeared on a loo run, then disappeared into their *cave* and haven't been heard from or seen since AND I HAVE TO GO OUT! progress! David just went on another loo run so maybe I'll get out of here. Among other things Moshe wants some help with a letter in English! More later, or tomorrow.I'll just hook the dogs on the loo door, give Rivka the key to the other door and take off!















No comments: