Sunday, October 21, 2007

Why ME? WHY ME ALL THE TIME?

I just love quoting Eric Von Zipper. He is my hero. I'm not quite sure where to start the litany of stupid things I've done over the past week, so I'll start with the dirty glasses. On my way home from Safad one night I was having trouble seeing the road. That can often be blamed on the Israeli driver's penchant for using high beams when they are not needed. It took a couple of seconds to realize that wasn't it. Everything looked blurry and dirty. I took off my glasses and there was the road! Luckily my license doesn't require me to wear glasses. The ones I wear to drive are more sunglasses than anything else and have never bothered me at night before. When I finally got them into the house and saw the lenses, I was amazed that I seen the car to get into it, never mind the road. Those were the filthiest pair of glasses I've ever seen.
Last night it was up to Safad for the big showdown with Gem Der Mainiac's landlord. His Hebrew is ok but he has trouble understanding religious school Hebrew which is spoken very fast. I had two kids who spoke it until I slowed them down, so I have no trouble with it. We were expecting a tirade and a show of semi hysteria. I'm pretty good in those situations. So there I was sitting in a corner in my wheely when the landlord came in. The wind going out of his sails was visible. He was ready for a fight but obviously didn't want a witness. I didn't have to say much and in the end he left the electric on. Dem Der Maniac was gleeful that things ended so quietly. It seems that he told a few of his neighbors that I am not a gimp anyone wants to tangle with! I'm just glad that it ended in a whimper, not a boom. It was also obvious that he was surprised that I could follow his religious school Hebrew effortlessly. Dem Der kept asking him to slow down, but I usually had an answer out before it really registered!
I was home before the news started but skipped it and watched some of the stuff on the TIVO. I'm gettting pretty good at breaking my news addiction.
This morning I opened my credit card statemements and found a few more automatic payments to cancel. One of them was for the cash register at Lavana's, and the electric bill which has already been removed from my card, but she owes me for both. The other was Orna's cable TV. We made a deal about that but she's still pissed off that I dared ask her to help up at Dem Der's and didn't come in so much as once this past week. So, I called the cable company and told them to take it off my card and they wanted to ask her if she had another way to pay it. I hope she does, but if she can't live up to her end of the deal, it's her problem. Just getting rid of those saves me almost 1.000 a month.

Then, I decided to go grocery shopping. I didn't really have time last week because of all the 'to do' in Safad. I picked up everything I need and went through the check out without stealing anything for once, only to discover that my check book wasn't in my bag. I'd forgotten to put it back after getting the credit cards out. So, back home to get the check book, then, back to the store to write a check and home again to bring all the stuff inside. That was a nightmare of pain, but it's all in, and put away now. For my next trick, I will wash the dishes (thanks ever so much, Orna), then settle in for some TV, reading, and maybe a kip.

No comments: