Sunday, October 14, 2007

AND THE GIMP GOES ON

I guess I can add another knife to the collection in my back. Help me out here. I'm not 100% sure that I'm wrong on this. Dem Der Bad Mainiac(thanks Boe) which is Striar's new nickname desperately needs help getting his stuff ready for the big move and I asked Orna to go up to Safad with me to help. She took umbrage and refused point blank while pointing out that she's ok with helping me when she can but that it's too much to expect her to help him too. I hope someone will remind me of that the next time her inlaws need help.
We had a deal that she would keep on top things at Gimp House and she was supposed to hang the wash out last Tuesday after the dryer deal fell through. She didn't and a few things including a summer blanket and a favorite sheet sat in washer since Tuesday. I noticed a musty smell in the kitchen yesterday and thought it was just the trash she hadn't taken out. The same smell hit me smack in the nose when I came in from Safad last night, but only this morning did I realize that it was the stuff still in the washer. I'm running it through the washer again in the hopes the stuff isn't ruined beyond hope. There's also the matter of the paint job her husband was supposed to finish before Aron came over in March but is still only part done, and the lights he hasn't put up yet. I just never expected that from her. He didn't ask her to donate the time. I did, and she would have been well paid. Right. I still have a few ideas for finding willing hearts and hands. It was just disconcerting to be told that I went too far expecting her to do something for someone other than me. I have a feeling that it might have something to do with the welfare mentality so many Israelis who have lived on SS for generations. They expect to helped but think that they don't have to do anything in return except for the specific person who did them a good turn or more. I think I'll leave that theory to the social science reasearchers.
On the bright side, I've found a work around for my email troubles. Stuff I send from the servers web mail seems to getting to it's destination so I'm using that for now. One day I'll get the issue solved so mails will get through from my preffered mail client. I can live with the work around for now. That should be my biggest problem.
Another good thing was that there was no car in the way of my space when I got home last night and I slipped the Focus in perfectly the first time. It's so rare that I don't have to maneuver back and forth that it is indeed noteworthy! But then, I always was good at parking!

No comments: