Monday, December 17, 2007

THE RUSSIANS GOT ONE THING RIGHT

I've known this for a long time, but keep forgeting that I want to write about it. The word in Russian for a stroke is insult. Boy have they got that one nailed. A stroke or CVA is just about the most insulting thing that can happen to a brain. Trust me on this. I've had a stroke, CVA, insult, whatever you want to call it, I had one and it was well and truly an insult in every way I can think of.This dictionary entry pretty much sums it up:
To treat with gross insensitivity, insolence, or contemptuous rudeness. That is exactly what it feels like has been done to you when you wake up to your new post stroke world, unless, like me, you were consious and awake for the whole thing. Thing is, in most cases it's not an insult from some else. It's your very own self that has insulted itself.
Oh well, just thought I'd mention it, now that the floor is kind of clean. I just invented a whole new way to wash a toxic floor Israeli style while using the wheely. I just stopped in here for a minute to rest.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it time for me to invent a purple floor washer yet? maybe one with a torture the messy one attachment on it?

Purplegimp said...

Do you really think I don't have purple floor washing equipment? Even the special Israeli floor washing cloths are purple as is the squeegie and the floor washing liquid stuff that comes in a beautiful purple spray bottle(it's not really floor washing stuff but it did the job). Now, if they'd only let me choose my own floor tiles.

Anonymous said...

Lucy, a stroke is an insult indeed. I recall my mother's stroke about 6 weeks after she had a hip replacement.
We had finally talked her into having that hip fixed because she was in pain constantly and was having difficulty walking. She was a very active 72 year old and hated being somewhat disabled from the hip.

So she finally decides to do it, does extremely well in her physical therapy, made such an impression on the PT staff, they wanted her to come back and help motivate other patients in their therapy.

Then, she has a stroke, what they call a minor one. 5 days later she has another stroke and dies.

I thought it was the biggest insult to have my Mother struck down like that after she fought so hard to get through her hip replacement and get moving again.

Needless to say I was devastated over her death and it seemed so unfair to me, but life is not fair is it?

Purplegimp said...

It's not often that I give the Russians creit for anything. But, boy oh oh boy have they got this right.
No, Gracie, life is not fair.

There is always the danger after surgery that a clot can be thrown and make it's way to the brain, even 6 or more weeks after the operation. The lower in the body the operation, the longer it takes.
That really really sucks. Just when your mom thought she was going to get some pain relief, she didn't really get to enjoy for it for long.