Tuesday, December 11, 2007

LAUGHTER *IS* THE BEST MEDICINE

After stubbornly refusing to take my aching right leg to it's doctor for the past month, the pain finally got to me and I called him yesterday. He told me to come see him today. While planning the trip in my mind-it's about 100 miles both ways, it suddenly hit me that my car needs it's annual inspection NOW, as in this very minute. After a few quick phone call to verify times and cost, I made a quick run into town and paid the registration fee, then decided to have the inspection done in a town that's on the way to the doctor. When I got there the guy in the office who does the paperwork and takes the money was not in his little window, so I called and he came charging out. Those wheely cards are great. There are so few of them that they really get good attention at places that know just how rare they are.
To say I was gobsmacked is an understatemt. The car flunked it's annual test. The rear tires were crap, and they said there's a problem with too much play in the steering. I'm not so sure about that but will have it checked tomorrow. The Disco had very twitchy steering that took a lot of getting used to. The Focus has very calm nice steering, but still. I will get it checked. With a week's extension, I headed off to my beloved ortho doc and when I finally got in to see him, we had our usual chat about this and that. He wanted to know what the story is with Dem Der and said that he was happy that I had someone. Boy did I set him straight on that. My answers to some of his questions about Dem Der got us laughing so hard that a doctor who was walking by came in to see what all the noise was about. There was a condescending comment in Hebrew about appropriate behavior in a doctor's office which got an even more condescending reply in English from me about laughter being the best medicine which got us going again when I added that by now I should be close to being cured! Oh, I do like my ortho doc. I'm going to keep a few of his comments to myself except to say that they were very complimentary.
When we finally got to the shot part we were in the nurse's suite of rooms. She's a sweetheart too and after a ripost or two I told the doc that he'd have to choose between us. He said some very nice things about me to her and said she'd understand more when he gave me the shot that we were calling a cocktail because it was made up of several things. The nurse was concerned about how I'd get from the wheely to the treatment bed. Things got loud again in the laughter department when I told her I'm not getting on a bed with HIM in the room, so, I stood and he shot me. She just couldn't over the fact that I didn't even flinch. Hell! I was high from all that laughing. Having learned from the previous shot that just getting in the car and driving home is not a good idea, I decided to do some gimp ballet exercises to get the cocktail working. More laughter with people walking by and shaking their heads in wonder. That much hilarity is not a common event in a medical clinic. It should be, though. I felt great all the way home and grinned the whole way until I found out how much the new tires were. They are now happily settled on the rear wheels. Even the steering issue doesn't bother me tonight. I'm still savoring some of the things the doc said, and that should keep me up in the clouds for a few more days. I wish more doctors were more like him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about them ortho docs, and their sense of humor? Good for what ails you. (one way or the other) I find other docs a little to startchy, and stuffed shirt for that. Maybe its the funny bone, but I Dunno.

Purplegimp said...

I guess I should be thankful that my funny bone is still ok, especially as it seems to be the only one that is.
For some reason most of my docs seem to like me. Part of it might be because of the fact that in spite of universal coomyized medicine I only go to them when I really need to, and don't whine and snivel!