Wednesday, January 25, 2006

TRUTH IN ADVERTISING

Israelis have a tendency to a bit lose with truthful advertising. My run in with my *smartass* cell phone company is a good example of how they try to get away with it. All the cell phone companies here are pushing GPS, and I sure do need it, at least until I learn the way to Bat Chen's. This morning I decided to make it Gimp Cell Phone Day and go to both local offices and try to sort things to my satisfaction. I wanted a speaker thingy that goes in your (my) ear for the Cell Com one and to reallocate my discounted numbers. I got the numbers sorted, then that gal told me that they were out of the ear thingies, but the manager said he might have one out back, and sure enough, he did! And even gave it me free of charge. Of course I haven't tried it yet and it might not work. I'll try it later.
My other company has a site and their site said that their GPS has two payment plans, one is just pay air time, the other is pay 14.90 a month but no charge for airtime. I went to the local office and was informed that option 2 is no longer available. I'm sure you can imagine the conversation that followed. Me, "But THE SITE SAYS" Them, "The offer was only good until the 8th of the month" Me. " I don't care, it doesn't say anything on the site about about being a limited time offer. I demand that payment plan" Them "We'll check with the big bosses" Me "I'm really not in the mood This company is either dishonest or looking for trouble. I can read Hebrew perfectly well and know what I read there" They eventually came back and told me there's no way they can give me that plan. Do I want it anyway? Yes I do, if I can cancel it after I learn my way to Bat Chen's. Sure, no problem. Then they told the site had already been changed. I came home and plonked myself down here and went straight to the site. HA! It was still there, so I called the main office in Tel Aviv and was informed that the locals had indeed given me the plan I wanted. I'll know for sure when next months bill comes in. They'd damn well better have. I'll be keeping and eye on their site.
Yesterday was interesting. I must have gone to sleep late because I only woke up when Orna came in to clean. Oddly enough, I remember the dream, and that's rare enough to comment on. After she cleaned, I got dressed and went out to sort Amidar [public(council) housing], then to look for a gift for Orly and her newborn son. At Amidar I just called and Shula Mastula (drunken idiot; in loose translation) came trotting down. I can not walk that long corridor to her office. It's just too much and Orna didn't want to go with and push the wheely. Got that sorted and picked up gifties for mom and babe, who will be home today. After that I collapsed into bed and had a nap. A while after I woke up, the phone rang and it was a new immigrant from America. I'd given my number to someone who had told me about him to pass on. We had a lovely chat, then I had to go because Jimmy was due to arrive for some shu shu business. We took care of that and he'll pass it on to a high up shu shu. Then we just chatted about all kinds of things and made plans to go visit a friend of mine from rehab days near Haifa and to go look for the avocado oil place.
Because of that blasted nap I couldn't fall asleep, so watched TV until morning when I dropped for a couple of hours.
Danny was just in to light the heater and I'm hungry and tired. Time to scrounge something to eat, then, hit the bed for some TV and maybe to read.

No comments: