Sunday, January 15, 2006

A SAD DAY IN SPRINZAK CITY

Great Granny Jenny passed away this morning in the arms of her grand daughter in law, Orna.She was 95 years old and well known as a righteous woman. She lived in the building across from ours and raised most of her children there. Her daughter lived in the building directly across the path from her, and when her son Albert and his wife and children needed a place to live, they moved in with her and eventually forced her out of her own home. She moved in with her daughter, Rachel, who lives above Natan, G.G.J's other son. Two of Rachel's children (Sonya and Simon) also live in the same apartment, and Rachel's son Danny lives on the ground floor. The whole family helped care for her(with the exception of Albert and his wife) Her great grand children visited her often and she would come down to sit in the sun on nice days. I didn't know her well, but Orna said that she always asked how I was doing.
When I stuck my head out the door to see what the weather was like, I saw the ambulance leaving and didn't think anything of it until I decided to go out and sit in the sun. Orna was at my door just as I opened it and told me the sad news. The whole neighborhood was outside their house and relatives were arriving from all over the country. Natan's cries of anguish could be hear from far away. As could Albert's when he got here from Neyanya.
What I do not understand is why children can't be bothered to treat their parents as if every time they see them might be the last. I am indeed thinking of my own daughter here.
The funeral convoy left here at 1545 because she has to buried before sunset. They should be back any minute to sit Shiva at Orna and Danny's house. I'll probably be spending a lot of time there, doing what I can to help, things like driving to the store and the like.
Yes, it's a sad day in Sprinzak City.

No comments: