Tuesday, May 31, 2005

BAD MINISTER BAD BAD

I am in no small state of shock as I write this. I checked the *gimp list* last night and discovered that my least favorite minister is on the verge of signing new traffic regulations designed to keep the users of scooters off the streets and roads in Israel. I don't think so. He can sign the regs, but guess who is not going to obey them? Right first time. Not I! Not a chance. Any cop unfortunate to try to give me a ticket is going to have to give me another for littering, and yet another for insulting a 'public servant' and so on until he arrests me. No way Jose. Hey! Meir Shitrit, your Napoleon complex is showing, you arrogant, supercilious,contemptuous, egotistical, overbearing, know it all, malevolent, treacherous, avaricious, fatuous, thoughtless, wretch. Just who the hells do you think you are? Do you think that those of us who spent our own money on scooters (no, there are no discounts for us and the health ministry doesn't help us buy them) are going to put our scooters on the junk heap and buy cars so we can leave our houses? I am here to tell you, no way. It is mindboggling that a country that produces so many crips can not provide the minimum so we can go out. There are absolutely no ramps at crosswalks or the ends of street so we can't use the pavements or crosswalks. Not to mention the danger to pedestrians on the pavements. It's not going to work and there will be a flood of civil disobedience that will rival the corruption of the government the day you sign that regulation. Oh, what's that you say? There's no money for bicycle and scooter lanes? Too bad, bubba. I will continue to use the streets and roads and you can figure out a way to solve it. I will be toodling along on my daily excursions to town until you sort things in a manner satisfactory to us scooter users.
Am I upset? Damn right I am. Israeli lunacy at it's worst. These new regs are supposedly for own protection. It seems that 5 scooters riders have been involved in bad accidents. I bet they were all the fault of the car drivers, and what about the hundreds of accidents involving bicycles? Are they going to outlaw bikes too? And pedestrians in crosswalks who get killed while legally crossing streets? Who is going to protect them?
This is not going to a good month otherwise. The fridge is still busted and I took everything out and put it all in trash bags that I know have to figure out how to get them out of here myself. Orna is out of commission with her foot. She has some kind of infection and can't walk on it, so I'm stuck with a filthy floor and a pile of trash bags to figure out how to get rid of. I also have to go into town and have a word with Mordy at the bank. I'm in no mood to mess around with him, or anyone else. I also have to get some veggies in. This no fridge thing sucks eggs!

No comments: