Monday, February 12, 2007

THE GSB AND ME

The local Geezer Scooter Brigade is gaining notoriety in the local press. Several of the geezers persist in careening down the middle of the streets in town at a breathtaking 10 kilometers an hour. This causes the drivers to get pissed off in the extreme. I don't quite qualify for geezer status yet. I am the only scooterer who actually needs one on account of crippledness. I'm also one of the three who drives and doesn't run the scooter down the middle of the street.
Thing is, I'm a vehicular trend setter in town. Scooters are multiplying at outrageous rates and new Land Rovers are appearing almost daily in town. Suzuki Lianas too. It seems that all I have to do is buy a vehicle and the masses run right out to get the same one!
I made pretty good time going to get the plants this morning. The drive home was a little tense for me. The jeep was full, I mean full and I was a bit nervous about sudden stops and curves. I had visions of Gs scattering all those plants with their dirt all over the place. Things went just fine until the last left turn at a stop light. There was a long line of military Hummers parked in the adjacent bus stop. Just where the road widens a cop came screaming up behind me and sirened me to move over. Idiot. He's damn lucky I didn't hit the brakes first. Must have been late meeting his brothers in blue for coffee. I was most displeased that the only incident was with a cop. Oh, well, cops are Israeli drivers, aren't they? And I actually expected better of them. Yeah, right.

No comments: