Friday, August 31, 2007

NOT A FUN WAY TO SPEND HALF A DAY

I'm sure I've had worse days, but I can't think of many right now. I made a nice slow start this morning, and after coffee and basic e mail, headed towards town on Harley Too. Coming around a curve at one of my shortcuts his front foot (wheel) twisted it's ankle. I made it to Lavana's and skipped the bank in the hope of nursing him home. I no sooner made the left turn at the stop light onto the main road when about 10 meters(yards) along, just before the right turn at the newspaper office than everything went really wrong. The front fork broke at the wheel and I was trapped where I sat by the handle bars with no way to move. I couldn't even get to my cell phone which was in my bag hanging inside the handlebars and trapped. After a very few minutes some stopped and asked if I needed help (duh). Both nice men pulled the handlebars/fork off me and helped me up onto the sidewalk. As the sun was directly overhead it was impossible to see the screen on the cell phone so I dialed the only number I could remember by heart and got hold of Striar. Not that he could be of much help as he was in Safed on a bus and the connection was so bad he could hardly hear me. I was starting to feel a little dizzy and it was getting hard to stand so I decided to try and move the wreckage of the fork so I could swivel the seat around and sit on it. I was having trouble with that and as there were 3 young gals hitch hiking right near me, I asked them for help. After we finally had me seated, it turned out that one of the gals was from New Hampshire. Old home week! They were so sweet and solicitous. I finally got hold of Lavana and she called Shmaryah, who showed up 3 minutes after Moshe (the first one who stopped to help) who had come back to see if there was anything more he could help with. While all this was going on, an ambulance arrived. Someone had called them about an accident involving a scooter. Sheesh. They were very sweet and canceled the call so I wouldn't be charged. They sent an ICU ambulance for crying out loud! Ophir was with Shmaryah and the 3 of them got the ruins into Moshe's car and Shmaryah drove me. He had to go into the house to get the wheely because I can't walk that far anymore.
I climbed wearily into bed after 2 hours in the noon sun, and have been sipping water ever since.Teadrinker called and started laughing while I was telling her all this, which set me off. I guess the mental picture of me sitting there trapped by the handlebars is pretty funny. My arms ache and Harley Too is dead. I'm not going to worry about that today. Sunday is time enough and I do have the car and my collection of wheelies.
And Thank G-d I live in Kiryat Shmonah. Aside from those mentioned, several others also stopped and offered help.
Yes, I'm sure I've had worse days, but this one is right up there with them.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I may know what jinxed you.....

Raymurdock said...

I'm glad you are okay. Sorry about your Harley 2

Purplegimp said...

Jeanie,
It might just be a blessing in disguise.
Susie,
Thanks. It was a bit difficult to take in but, it will be ok. I now have a plan of action.

Raymurdock said...

My fingers are cross that your plan will work

Purplegimp said...

Thanks
I'll be sure to update here as things move along