Wednesday, August 15, 2007

THE BEST DAY

A while back someone somewhere (on the TV, I think) asked "Which one day of your life would you like to relive?" I haven't been able to shake that question from my mind and keep running around after it at the oddest moments. I take it to mean relive exactly as it was, not relive it to change it. My problem is that there are two days that fit.
One is a specific day and there are very specific reasons for wanting to relive it. The other is a generic day from a certain time period.
I have actually enjoyed rummaging around in my memory for those days. It's one way to relive them. Obviously, the only way, unless a magical miracle happens.
Chronologically, the first day I would chose to go back to would be just about any summer day between my junior and senior years in high school. That was an almost perfect summer spent with Alice, and the Perrottas either at the marina, on Birch Island, or Mere Point, mostly on the Bay in the boats. That last summer before the last year of school was as perfect as a summer can be. I'm thankful that I had those days and even more thankful that I can remember them and relive them in my mind.
The other day I would like to relive is my wedding day. It was such a happy day with the whole family-aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends. Just having everyone there and happy for that one day (never mind that I knew it was a mistake even then) puts it right up there in The Great Days category. I wouldn't change one thing about that day. Not even the groom. We were all so happy and the odd things that happened made it even more wonderful. The same couple that saved my parent's wedding ended up saving mine. How could it have been otherwise? To this day I am glad that I gave up control of the whole thing to my mother on condition that there be as much purple as possible. The caterer even got in purple table cloths just for me, and the flowers were mostly purple. It was over the flowers that it hit me: that day was more for my mom than me, so I let her run with it and it was perfect. Oh, yes, I'd go back and live that day again just to be with everyone there again.
Overall, I've had a great life and there are a very few things I go back and change. But those are not among them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to relive the very moment I saw my husband for the first time. He says he knew the minute he saw me that I would be the mother of his children!! Hindsight being 20/20-- would I see it? I remember his wicked smile and that twinkle he had when he said to me,"So you like Bryan Adams?"(I was dancing on a chair to "Summer of '69" while cleaning a barracks room in the army!! Still my all time favorite song...

Purplegimp said...

That's a good one to choose. isn't it wonderful that the Good Lord gave us memories so we can at least go back in our minds?