Tuesday, August 14, 2007

MY NEW BEST FRIEND

My upstairs neighbor; the one who tried to stop me from moving here way back when has become downright garrulous. He's gone from totally ignoring me to never going by without saying something. Suspicious to say the least. Last week he took over my side garden and built himself a path to the back garden around my storage shack and said something about buying a scooter.
Yesterday as I came home from the mail boxes, his son came out of one of the paths between the houses on a brand new 4 wheeled scooter complete with sun roof and he was waiting by my ramp, all puffed up and proud looking. He told me to tell him "Mabrouk" which is sort of Arabic for congratulations which I did. He then proceeded to tell that he paid 20.000 for it. The fun part was watching him try to get it around the retaining wall onto the new path. The guy across the way had to come out and give scooter driving advice, as if he actually has more than 6 months experience. Aside from saying that it would be a tight fit, all I had to say was to please not scrape the paint on my rail! He's gone a built a shack for it in the back garden and must have run a power line down to it. Not exactly legal. But so what? His other son has the department that deals that at city hall in his pocket. It's all fine and well for now, but what will happen when they get too old to walk down the stairs and around the building? My other question is 'will he let his wife drive it, or will he chauffeur her around himself?' He did buy the double one. The cynic in me can't help but wonder if he thinks my connections at the scooter place will be of use to him. I'm pretty sure he heard the conversation I had with the scooter repair guy last time he was here and that whoever delivered it mentioned me too. It took a while back when I bought Harley Ben David, but I finally got that scooter place where I want them and Yefim didn't charge me for his last visit here. Whatever. After 5 years of pretending that I don't exist, he's suddenly gone all talkative. Could be that he knows that if I want to I could make his life miserable over my side garden and the porch he built illegally on the roof of my shelter. That's ok because the day will come when tat all gets straightened out. In the mean time, I'll just be nice.
Shmaryah and I are supposed to go to Tiberius today to close the tax stuff. I just hope he's ready this time.
Think I'll ever learn to at least open my mail? Yesterday I got a call from my bank asking if I'd gotten my new credit card. That sent me on a search and seizure mission that eventually turned up the card, but no code so they'll have to send another one. If I'd only opened the mail instead of tossing it on the 'later' pile, I would have saved myself much frustration. I'm sure that code is around here someplace but it has yet to turn up. Um, I take that back. I think I found it! No, I take THAT back. I didn't. Oh, well. I'd best get dressed and head out.

No comments: