Thursday, August 02, 2007

BIG DRIVING DAY!

I had planned on going to visit my friend in Mode'in over the weekend, but then she told me that her air conditioner isn't working, soooooooooo, the obvious solution to that is to go get her, bring her here, then take her home Saturday night. Somehow she managed to total her brand new Toyota, so she's without a car. And I'm in the mood for a nice long drive with Don McClean! I've gotten just about everything sorted that needed sorting to date, so, I'm a free gimp! I've even gotten the new new computer with the hard drive that replaced the other new defective one up to speed including e mail in both directions. Now, that is a major accomplishment. Even got the new USB hub stuck in the front of the computer functioning. The only thing left to sort is that freaking memory stick thing that simply refuses to work.
I'm actually feeling quite chipper for a change.
Yesterday I was rummaging around You Tube looking for clips of some old favorite songs and entirely by accident stumbled across Pete Seeger doing Jenny Jenkins. Many long years ago when I was but a wee lass, my favorite baby sitter used to sing it me, usually after much pestering. Several years ago I found the lyrics, printed them out and mailed them to her with a letter that included my e mail addy, by snail mail. She sent me a mail right away and we write sporadically; mostly because I'm crap. So, of course, I sent her the link to the song on You Tube.
It really is odd the memories that hang around forever in the mind. She was one of the best things in my childhood and it was wonderful stopping to see her last year on the way out of Maine. She went to Italy once and brought me a marble egg that someone stole years ago. She also gave me what is still my favorite perfume for a birthday, and it was to their house that I went every Christmas morning. Her mother had the coolest pottery water jug that was always in the fridge. It was round with a really neat cork stopper and her Christmas cookies were the best in the world. They lived in one of the best houses on the street, all different levels and a dream of a library/office room. Just thinking of all that brings a nostalgic smile to my face. I was really lucky to have grown up where and I did.

No comments: