Sunday, October 01, 2006

,YOM KIPPUR

Why is it that we change our clocks just before Yom Kippur? We went back an hour to standard time last night and I just finished changing my watch, phones, the computer and the clock next to my bed. According to the radio the rest of the world won't change for another month. Not that it bothers me in the least to be out of step with everyone else; it rather suits me. It's the crazy reason. The Ultra Orthodox think it makes the fast shorter, but it doesn't. So, of course, because they think so, it is so. Ah, well, so be it. It doesn't matter to me at all, as long as my clocks, watches, phones, etc. show the correct time.

I always get nostalgic over the Holidays. They bring back memories from my ever so long ago childhood when we all went to Portland for services. The arguments I had with Dad about driving there instead of staying overnight with The Grandparents. I usually lost, but there were a few years when I went to stay with them and met up with Mom, Dad and Jeff at Beth El. Of course I was right back then, but, so what? I loved the feeling of Autumn in the air and how cool the weather was when all us kids went to hang out around outside and visit the other kids from Shaarei Zedek across the street where my grandparents went.
Yom Kippur was the best because at noon or so, the women and kids would all go to the Branz's house and wait for the fast to be over. Us older kids would drive the adults wild by doing sit ups and going out for long walks to show that fasting didn't slow us down at all. Much head shaking and tongue clicking among the adults didn't stop us from racing up and down the stairs. Yeah, ok, so we were always first in line for food when the fast ended, but it was great fun, if not exactly in the spirit of the day. I'm so thankful for the great memories from those days.
In Israel the non religious among us have their own traditional ways for getting through the day. Kids go out on their bikes and race along on the empty roads and the older crowd sits around watching videos and DVDs.
Other than taking my morning meds, I fast and read and think and talk to my parents. It's a very quiet day up here because the kids in town aren't really into the whole bike thing. There's a lot more respect for the religious from the kids here than in the rest of country, but this isn't the time to get into all that. Zom Kal and Gmar Hatimah Tovah.

No comments: