Monday, October 23, 2006

CRAP CRAP CRAP AND MORE CRAP

My son called last night with the worst news possible. His 57 year old father has pancreatic cancer and it's about as bad as it can be. Seems his sister, my ex daughter, told him about it and was cold as an ice block about it, as only she can be, so he called me for a more caring reaction. Poor kid, to have to go through this with an ice cube for a sister. At least when I went through it with my mother, who was only 58, my brother was right there with me. We might be divorced, but it was as friendly a divorce as can be even though we did have a grand battle or two or three afterwards. When the dust settled, we were still friends and he did come visit me the day I sprang myself from the hospital after my heart attack.
I thought about it all night long and then it hit me. He never smoked, drank and ate healthy, so what happened? He was a diver in the Israeli Navy and trained in one of the most polluted rivers in the world. A lot of guys from those units ended up with cancer that was linked to diving there. Granted, knowing that was most likely the source won't help much now, but it does at least explain it. I'm very very sad about it because he is the father of my kids and a nice guy, just not the nice guy for me. His present wife is a nurse and a damn good one. She's also a wonderful woman and I like her a lot. This is going to be so hard for her. Worse even that when her first husband was killed in a hunting accident long ago.
The worst part for me is that there's not a damn thing I can do about it except be here to listen to any of them who want to talk.
It might be fuel for my battle at the parking lot today. The new super market in town has gotten the mall management to turn the parking lot into a pay to park lot unless you buy something for 50 shekels or more. What am I going to buy at the bank for 50 shekels? The plan for today is to drive to the bank and test the new arrangement. It's not like there's an abundance of parking in town, so this new thing is very not good. I'm quite looking forward to the brouhaha and am in no mood to be messed with!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Hon... First your close friend and now this. :(

{{{{{{{{{{{{{Hugs and thinking of you}}}}}}}}}}}}}