Friday, October 27, 2006

THAT'LL TEACH ME

After a somewhat tiring day, I got home early and tried to sort the program access on the new improved(?) computer. It was only this morning that I got it sorted. The guy who 'did' the computer is a whiz with hardware, but I know more about software! I told him that the very first thing we do after connecting to the interweb-(he thought he could do it without installing the dialer)-was to download and configure Thunderbird. Number 2 was to download AVG about which he had heard of, but never used. When we talked about what he was doing to the PC he said he'd install the OS I wanted and an anti virus prog. That elicited a very loud "Oh no, you don't! I'll put AVG in!" His responce was bewilderment. While he was here, I put it in and explained it to him. It was a bit strange explaining my favorite programs to someone who does computers for a living considereing how computer ignorant I was only a few short years ago. Strange, but nice! Firefox obviously has to be my default browser, but I need IE too because banks here only work in IE I took a shot at sorting that last night with absolutely no success. This morning I got it done in just a few seconds.I also need him to figure out how to give me access to the other hard drive. It has a bunch of stuff I really want on it, like my A Team screen saver, which no longer seems to be available on Cannell's site. My beloved firewall is also there. Oh, well, he's sorting a computer for one of our key copying machines so I'll catch him then. At least this computer is legal again! And working at warp speed.
I did get a few things ironed out with Mr. S and now I am more confident about him. The guy in Safed is toast, and I heard it from the person above him on the corporate food chain. Corporate politics is the name of the game. It'll take a month or two to get that sorted, but I'm ok with it now.
The weather people sat it's going to storm this weekend and I'm so looking forward to it. A proper, rain, wing, and thunderstorm. And I'll nice and cozy tucked in at home with the papers, TV and computer! I can't wait.
Next week, Shmaryah has a consult with a surgeon to try and figure out what's growing in his tummy. I still think it's a stolen M&M growing there. Every time he mentions it, I pick up scissors, a rusty exacto knife and a stapler and tell I'm ready to operate! There is no indication that it might malignant. All his blood tests were just fine, but the thing is growing, and starting to hurt. We'll know more on Monday, which, of course is the day I go to get a bunch of teeth yanked. I hope the schedule will allow me to go to the cutter with him. I'll check that later today.
And for my next trick, I will disentangle the laptop wires from the spahetti bowl of the PC cables. No, I do not know why I didn't have what's his name do it when he was connecting the PC-duh.

No comments: