Saturday, July 23, 2005

THE BIG SLEEP

Israelis have been watching too many American movies. I did go to the wedding Thursday night and it was a revelation. I'm not big on going to weddings, bar mitzvahs and the like. So finding myself going to two within thirty days was a surprise. The first one I went to was OTT in several ways, but on the whole quite pleasant and served the purpose of getting the couple legally wed. The OTT was in the catering department. Weddings now have extravagant buffets before the ceremony instead of the guests waiting until after the ceremony to eat they all now fill up on finger foods and are too full to eat, not to mention enjoy the full course meal that follows.
Thursday's affair went overboard all the way. The pre event buffet was insanely large, the ceremony itself was copied from American movies and included bridesmaids and other strange elements that a typical Jewish wedding doesn't usually include. There were human statues situated all over the place and there were costumed dancers with huge feather headresses who should have been dancing in coordination with each other, but each did her own thing. Most strange. I was a good girl and kept my mouth shut and will forever hold my peace about my opinion. There are more than enough evil tongues on the neighborhood to ruin the feeling for Yechiya and his wife. The Sprintzak Council had it's own table and aside from a few remarks from a very drunk Danny it was just fine. The bus left pretty much on time and got there just as Danny, Orna, Orly and Haim arrived by car. I pretty much gave the buffet a pass with the exception of 1 kubbeh. I can not pass on Kubbeh.
They finally got around to the ceremony at 2145 rather than the planned 2030 and it was different to the usual in many ways, but the objective was obtained and the couple is now legally tied. Thanks to the kubbeh I wasn't very hungry so only had the fish and some salad. The noise was earshattering. Don't they have volume controls?
They announced the first bus back to Kiryat Shemonah at 2300 and I rolled my way over to the busses at 2345 fully expecting to catch the second one whenever it might leave only to find the first one still there but full. It was blocked in by insanely parked cars in the far lot. The other bus driver had to be called and when he arrived, he found me a seat on the first bus. We left and ended up going through all the neighborhoods in town before we got to mine. On the way I made an exciting discovery. There's a KFC in Carmiel!! Hoorah. Of course we were left off at the top of the street and something got stuck in my wheelchair's wheels and I needed help to get it unstuck. I rolled down to Gimp House and hit my ramp just as the people from the second bus arrived.
Somehow I managed to get up in time for my appointment with Dr. Sawbones and stayed awake long enough to get the date for the toe operation- Friday, July 29 at 1100. I can get myself to the chop shop in plenty of time. Eema Rivka will take me home the next day. This is good as busses don't run on Saturdays. I also have to go see the anestheiologist on Tuesday, but that's ok. After that, I got the local papers and came home to read them, only to fall asleep again. I woke up again at 1730 and finished the papers and the new Harry Potter. I made it through the news at 2100 and zonked out again until midnight when I watched The Dead Zone and went back to sleep until this morning. I'm back at the computer for the first time and am seriously considering another nap. I can't remember the last time I was this sleepy and sore. Manual wheelchairing is not for me. Owie shoulders and arms, and never mind my right knee (the one that does the pushing) No matter what, I will find the cash to take Orna with me on Tuesday. Enough things are going to hurt on Friday without adding muscle aches to the mix. I'm mostly focusing on the joy of relatively near access to KFC and ultimately painless toes.

No comments: