Saturday, January 22, 2005

I WONDER

Sometimes I just can't help but wonder what makes some people tick. I joined a macrobiotic list a while ago and have yet to post there. I did contact the owner and we exchanged mails for a while. I even tried to design a poster for them but never did get it right and when I did get an almost ok version, she couldn't open it, neither could the alternative addy she gave me. That was the end of exchanges with anyone on that list. The alternate addy was even more cynical and caustic than I would dare be about someone I had never met or even corresponded with.
Not long after that there was a whole spate of "philosophical" e mails that left me wondering if these people have any awareness of reality beyond their little rose colored liberal worlds. These people all live in one of the most dangerous Areas of the world and actually have convinced themselves that if they think positive thoughts nothing *bad* will happen to them. I wonder how they will explain being blown off the face of the earth in a terror attack (G-d forbid) . That's just fine, but then, they are so secure in their bubble that they blithely post their phone numbers, addresses and directions to their homes in their posts. Ok, that's their right, but what really gets me is this: They are heavy into macrobiotics which is just fine, I'm a bit into it as well. The thing is the way they are so into the whole "how can I be a better person through macrobiotics?" thing. And trying to link it to Judaism. Um, Judaism answers that question all by itself and the answer is not by being self absorbed with the search for the answer. The answer is right there on the first page! And if you keep reading it becomes clear that the best way to become a "better person" is not to worry about it, but to do, to act, to follow the rules so clearly set out for us in the Tanach, by being selfless and doing for others as much as we can with no thought for what *I* will get from it.
My personal view of Judaism is that it pretty much boils down to two things. 1) our relationship with G-d and 2) our relationships with other people. The rules governing the latter far outnumber the ones for the former, and only G-d can judge or forgive us for our transgressions against Him, and only our fellow "man" can forgive us for things to do with them. There's not much crossover between the two. What I don't get about the ones worrying so much about becoming "better" is how this escapes them when it's so simple. Have you helped anyone lately even with as little as a kind word, or by just listening to them? Have you gone out of your way to do a kind deed? Have you donated money to a charity or bought a struggling neighbor something you know they need? Have you told your school department that you will anonymously donate the school, and book fees for a family that can not pay them next September? Do you have a smile and kind word for people you meet out and about? Or are you so concerned with bettering yourself that all those things are lost in your struggle for self betterment? Or is lip service to those ideals and telling others how to be better as far as it goes?
I'm just wondering here, not pointing fingers. I only know these people through their posts. They might do all those things and more. I don't know, but I tend to wonder about people who seem to be so self absorbed.
I went into town yesterday for the first time in over a week and stayed at the coffee shop way too long. There was a very nice ex Yank-NYC- who lives in Metula there and we had a lovely chat. Richard sat with us most of the time and we had some fun with the guy. We did our *act* on him. Richard is very quick on the uptake which is one of the reasons he's so much fun. It went a bit like this: R-"How old are you anyways?" W- "47"
Me-"Ah, a child" W- "Hardly" R- Yup, a mere young 'un" Me- There's still time to raise him up right!" R-"Listen to your mother, she knows what's best for you" All-burst into spontaneous laughter! Being silly can be so much fun especially when it consists of nothing at all.
I stopped at the grocery store on the way home and picked up few things, then came in and collapsed into bed where I stayed with the TV and a book until I was rudely awoken at 11:00 by Teadrinker. I didn't get to sleep until after 04:00. No reason, just not sleepy. My cold is gone, but I still feel yucky and weak. Sitting at the computer had no appeal, and I didn't pay much attention to the 'tube' either. I did perk up when the news was on. Richard and Mara and I talked a bit about the developments with Abu Mazzen and his attempts to secure the Strip (Gaza). My brilliant contribution was to the effect that someone must have landed on him HARD, and lo and behold, they said on the news that the US told him to get his act together, or else! Vindicated yet again. I hope it's not just an Arafart style crack down that is an act only and this time it will lead somewhere. They are always going on about 'trust building'. Ok, let's take this to a level we all understand; if we lose the trust of a friend or family member, how long does it take to earn it back? Earn is the operative word here. We can't just say "sorry" and all is forgiven. It takes time, sincerity and effort to earn it back. How much more at that level, where mistrust has been a major element for so many years? I hope that Abu Mazzen is sincere and that things can move ahead. I remember well the days of not so long ago when we could go to the major towns in the West Bank and be very welcome. It would be wonderful to go back to that. I still have trouble getting my head around forcing our settlements to move, while there is no move on their side. Of course, there are some areas that could simply be included in their state with not one family being displaced from their home........but sadly, I can't see that so logical thing happening. It's all about *us* giving in to their demands. Could someone please spread a little logic over here?
Ok, enough is enough. Time to organize some breakfast........at 14:30 almost....

No comments: