Sunday, November 04, 2007

SHOULD BE INTERESTING

I fully expect to be a bit of a wreck over the next few weeks. I saw one of the top vascular surgeons in the country on Friday and I was right, I do need the operation and soon. I got the appointment only 3 days after getting the results of the test. That was fast. I rolled into his office, put the results on his desk and announced that I have "a little problem" He looked at them, and corrected me by informing me that I have a big problem. He was very up front and clear. He also actually looked me right in the eye while talking. That's pretty rare in this country. And of course, it's not possible to just schedule it and do it; I have to have a whole bunch of tests first. Those are the easy part. The nervewracking part is the operation itself. Ever since I can remember myself I've had an irrational fear, or maybe discomfort is a better word, about my neck. I will wear a turtleneck when ever possible. So, of course the operation is on my neck. It makes me nervous because it makes me think about how I designed the ultimate gimp house in 1972, 30 years before needing one myself. So, this old neck thing has me a little nervous as the operation can go one of 3 ways. It can be a complete success, it can give me another stroke on the other side, or, it can kill me. Of course not having it WILL kill me. I'm hoping for a complete success, of course, but this life long thing about my neck makes me wonder what's going to go wrong. I'm actually kind of looking forward to having a scar there; Dracula like. So, that's where things stand right now. I'll be going out soon to start the whole pre op test stuff. I want to get it finished and done with as soon as possible.
Sheesh, I don't even know when the operation will be and I'm already planning my scarper!
Oh, I won the fight for the rest of the results. We stopped at the place that was holding them hostage, and was told that they'd already been mailed. The doc didn't even ask for them, but that's not the point. I fully intend to write some very nasty letters about it to all the relevant parties. That just isn't going to go away.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm assuming one carotid is blocked. What percentage is blocked on the one they'll operate on?

Purplegimp said...

Right you are!
The right carotid has been blocked since 1989, and I've been sort of keeping an eye on the left one. That's the one they'll be rotorooting!