Saturday, December 30, 2006

THEY DO GROW UP DON'T THEY?

It truly amazes me how well kids can grow up. My son Aron, and Etty and Yaacov's Yaron and Dotan being cases in point. On Friday I went to Dotan's plant nursery to settle the bill for the flower shop. I got there well before he did as his parents, Yaron, his wife and kids were all staying at his place and got a late start. When they finally arrived, Etty Yaacov and I waited for Yaron et al to get there too. It's scary to see how detached Yaacov is these days. I'm pretty sure he's getting himself ready for the end and that is so sad. It won't be long now.
Yaron and I managed to have a bit of chat between invoice sorting and paying and he is amazing with his insight into his parents. He said a few things to me about cultural differences in outlook between his folks and me, and he was spot on. I thought about what he said all the way home and the more I thought, the more impressed I was. He was 100% right. And I fully intend to implement what he said.
As to Dotan, Lavana and I figured up what we probably owed him and our figures were a little high, as in "Ouch High" I just let Dotan get on with the figures and almost fell off the chair when he came up with an amount that was much lower than I'd prepared myself for. He basically charged us at his cost. I happily wrote the check. I just hope he didn't lose anything on us. I do know why he did it, but he really didn't have to. Business is business and family/friends are family/friends. Not that I don't appreciate it. I do, and Dotan has also grown up well. It's a bit odd to see those two all grown up so good next to the memories of them as kids. That Yaron would turn out great was a given back then, where as Dotan was a bit of question mark. He lead his parents a merry dance when he was a teenager and young adult, but now.............he's more than made up for all grief he gave them then. And not just because his dad is ill. He's been sorted for a long time now, and I'm really impressed by him too.
Aron, I've already written about at length so will skip him for now and just put question marks all around my daughter's name. ?????Irit????? Where did she go wrong? Yeah, yeah, I know. It's all my fault. Just ask her and if she deigns to answer that's what she'll say. I'm not going to dwell on her today because I'm in a pretty good mood and I don't want to ruin it.

No comments: