Wednesday, December 27, 2006

HOW STRANGE

It was cold, wet, and blustery yesterday. Shmaryah was home in bed with a bad cold. I've never been good in the morning, which is a complete understatement. I hauled my sorry butt out of bed on time, but couldn't seem to get it in gear. I'm usually out of Gimp House by 0830, but didn't even start getting dressed until after 0900. It was raining, and the Abominable Gimp Snow Suit was warm and cozy. With Shmaryah home in bed with his cold, Ophir had opened a bit late. I staggered in to a spiral electric heater right next to my chair. It was unplugged faster than even I could believe. Damn things give me a head ache; something to do with the change they make in the ionization of the air. Ophir made a comment to the effect that if he were me, he'd be out in the jeep on a jaunt. Not five minutes went by before Striar called to say he was with a New Yorker who wanted to see the North up close and personal. I told him to come on up and we'd take the jeep and go for a ride. I went home and got out of the snow suit and we all piled into the jeep for a fog shrouded tour of the far North. Being the driver,and local resident, *I* got to chose the places. After a swing through Metula and a look at the border, we headed for the Golan Heights and my favorite place in the world, Nimrod's Fortress:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimrod_Fortress
It was a slow drive up there, and we sent our tourist off to explore on his own with a pamphlet. When he came back, he said that he really liked it. It *is* an amazing place, and I wanted to get out of the car and go in too. It's not exactly wheely friendly, so I didn't. The cloud we were in dissipated enough for him to get a look around at the valley. Not being the most 'time aware' gimp, we headed upwards with me thinking we'd have lunch at that restaurant just outside of Madj D'l Shams. When we realized what time it was, we decided to stop for pita with labaneh and zatar. I don't much like it, but Ophir had asked for one, so, we got 3. Our tourist really liked it, and with him happily munching away on it in the back, we headed back to town at a top speed of 20 kilometers an hour. It was foggy to say the least. It was a fun trip. I just hope he enjoyed it half as much as he said he did. I would have enjoyed it a whole lot more than I did if Striar had let me get a word in edgewise. He never stopped talking. Ok, I might not be the most scintillating conversationalist around, but I can and sometimes do have something to say. Oh, well, at least I got to go out and show someone my favorite place. There was some talk about meeting up today in Acco, but I think I'll pass. It's my official day off, and I don't want to spend it listening to Striar go on and on. Maybe I'll go to Nazareth? Or just stay in and try to sort the usb issues on the puter? There are some pictures on the camera that I want in the computer, now that's back from the wasteland that is my room! It might also be a good idea to go grocery shopping. I'll give it a think, then decide.

No comments: