Wednesday, December 15, 2004

AOL WARS AND TEADRINKER'S INTRO TO HI TECH!

I do not deal well with frustration, as anyone walking by Gimp House this morning is now able to confirm. The emails that were sent to AOL were all unceremoniously bounced. After an hour spent attempting to decipher the gobbledygook they send with the bounce, I realized that *my* server is somehow at fault, so I called them and the techie said they are working on it and that using Yahell or Hitmail might work. In the end that's exactly what I did. I used the hated Yahell and it got through. I hope they sort the issues soon because I really don't like Yahell, and I don't like Hitmail even more! I'm getting quite used to Thunderbird and the only complaint I can think of is that it doesn't have an automatic signature feature, but I can live with that and have even figure a way around it involving Ctrl-C and V!
Teadrinker got her digicam and PSC yesterday and the insanity and curses started. She *did* get the camera to work with a minimum of fuss. Then, this morning we moved on to the PSC (Printer Scanner, Copier) and the real fun started. She had much trouble getting the ink carts in and spent ages on the phone threatening dire injury with a hammer (to me, and/or the PSC) while simultaneously cursing me in several languages. After bellowing right back at her, she called HP support here and they really pissed her off, and we were at threats involving hammers and other implements of destruction. More Gimp bellowing and she calmed down, put the torch (flashlight in her mouth and got the ink carts in AND PRINTED A PICTURE! She has now gone off to recover.
No matter how many times I tell her that people of average or above average intelligence often have trouble with these devices because we have a hard time grasping that "yes it can be that easy" she refuses to believe it. I'm starting to dread the day she gets a computer! So is she. She remembers the good (not) old days when I was just starting out with my first one. The fact that she is without a doubt smarter than I am will only hinder her, but, on second thought, I might enjoy watching (listening) to her going through what I went through not so long ago!
I've been sitting here for 7 hours now and my knees are most unhappy. I think I'll take them for a rest even though my topics list for the blog is getting quite long. Blame AOL!

No comments: