Thursday, November 16, 2006

ME AND MY BANK

I was certain that I was headed straight for major trouble at the bank, but got lucky, real lucky, yesterday. Banking in this country is truly insane. Until a few months ago, sky high over drafts were not only allowed, they were encouraged. Big profits for the banks by way of high interest. Then, the government decided that we should live within our means and limited over drafts! These days overdrafts must be with in certain agreed to limits and anything over those limits can be returned not paid which can wreak havoc. My allowed limits are very high, so things should be ok. They were until yesterday when I realized that 2 checks were in danger of bouncing sky high. Not wanting that, I went to the bank and asked "What do I do now?" There's a little known escape clause that allows customers to sign up for a 10% safety valve, which means that if you are going be a little bit over, you can use that 10% to cover it; yes, of course, at a higher interest rate. Fine. It's covered. So I signed up for that! And the checks were paid. Now that I'm paying close attention to what's going on in all my accounts, things will start getting better real fast. I pretty much let things drift until the start of this month, but, no more. I now know exactly what is happening in each account and am keeping track in the business diaries in both stores and my personal one.
Yesterday was VAT day and Shmaryah thought we'd have to pay a lot, but somewhere in my gut I knew we wouldn't. As it turned out, VAT still owes us, so that was great! There's also a large amount still owed us from the war and both of those amounts will come in handy for my "Bank Clean Up Campaign" when they arrive.
I talked to my sawbones yesterday and it looks like the 'Great Toe Chop' will have to wait a bit. The hospital it was approved for is the one hospital my sawbones isn't licensed to cut in yet. He's working on it, and I should have a date sometime this week. And I so wanted to get it done right now. So I'll wait a little longer. It's just more pain, right? No big deal.
Other than that, I'm in a great mood. The banks and businesses are under control and the sun is shining, and I'm fine.

No comments: