Thursday, November 23, 2006

DON'T MESS WITH MY BUSINESS

I may have mentioned that we've been having trouble with the regional distributor of the most popular doors in the country. We sold hundreds of their doors and not one was installed without trouble of some kind. Customers come in every day to complain and there's not much we can do because the regional guy is The Man up here. What I do is give the customers the phone and fax numbers of the head office and help them write a letter of complaint. Back before Shmaryah went to hospital I went to see Motti, and sat and listened to him tell me that it's all Shmaryah's fault, and bla bla bla. Shmaryah and I decided to stop selling those doors and to work with other companies until the issues were solved. Motti gave us a check for 13,000 shekels that bounced sky high and I should have returned it to him after he made it good but decided to hold onto it until the one for 19,000 cleared. Then I decided to hold it until he finishes all the doors still left to install to our satisfaction. A couple of the doors were ordered long before the war with installations dates from before the war as well. Two are still not finished.
Motti was in town yesterday and called me demanding the check. I told him straight out that he'd get it when the work was finished to our satisfaction. He got a bit testy, but I stayed cool as cucumber and after a few exchanges, simply said, "I've already told you, finish the work and I'll give you the check" and hung up when he was in mid sentence. I reported the exchange to Shmaryah and just didn't answer any more of Motti's calls. There's really not a thing he can do except finish up.
We have since discovered that we can make more money selling doors from other companies, and our sales have only gone up and with a higher profit margin to boot. We are using an installer that Motti fired because his sales have slowed down to close to zero since we stopped going through him.
I am having so much fun and am quite proud of me for how I handled him yesterday.
The big difference in profit comes from the fact that we ordered the doors through him, and got a commission. Now, we buy the doors direct from the companies we work with, install them ourselves (with Motti's fired installer) and make a lot more per door! In the end our customers get a door for less and we make more money!
I'd better get dressed and down to the store. I don't want to miss 'act two' of the Great Door Drama' Shmaryah is waiting for me to get there before he calls Motti and tells him a thing or two. I don't want to miss that!
I haven't had so much fun since I can't remember when!

No comments: