Wednesday, December 21, 2005

PLAIN DUMB LUCK

After deciding to buy a car, then not to buy a car, then, not to buy a car unless that Citroen was still for sale, I'm buying the Citroen! I actually have the cash in hand and the money for the insurance sitting in my account. I'm not exactly known for my financial smarts, but I did do one very smart thing. I started a savings account with money from my very first disability payment. That savings account has grown to a very nice sum, and has biannual dates when money can taken out without losing the whole amount. I have more than enough for the January date, and we sorted all the paperwork so it will be done automatically on the date and I can buy the car today, insure it, do the "new old car maintenance' stuff like change the oil, plugs, points, filters, etc, and start planning visits to my out of town friends. The car even has a name! I was trying to think of an appropriately insulting name to the French, then thought that I'd rather have a name with nice associations, and came up with Kiri Four Wheels, in honor of Cab/Kiri Two Legs, who often has red hair. She quite liked the idea, So, KFW it shall be. Of course, I'm not sure how long it will stay red, and I already have plans to have a friend who makes signs, put a picture of my purplegimp on wheelbroom logo on the doors! Woohoo! A car. We are doing the sale and transfer of ownership today, if Orna and Danny's daughter is available. I don't want it in my name because that will make me ineligible for a loan I will need to buy a subsidized car through our Social Security. Insane, idiot, senseless rules, but they can be gotten around. It's not like the car is worth all that much, but the simple fact of it being in my name means no loan, and the loan is for 80% of the cost of the new car, after taxes, which are waved for us gimps. That's a lot of money to throw away, especially as the loan turns into a grant after 5 years. The car can be in Talia's name and get a gimp parking sign because she lives in the same building I do! Just thinking about all those rules is enough to give anyone a headache!
I bought a vanity last week. It's dark, and covered with real leather. Since it was delivered last week, the mirror has been sitting on the table, patiently waiting for Danny to come and hang it on the wall. It is now hung, a few centimeters above the table, and it looks fantastic! I even solved the problem of what to put on that side of my bed for books and other stuff that pretty much have been living in bed with me.
Several years ago, I bought a tiny dark wood stand/table thing with a drawer. I had no idea why I bought it at the time, just that it would come in handy one day, and that day was today. I took all the accumulated junk off it and moved it to the wall next to my bed and put the books and a few other things on it. NOW I know why I bought it. It's another of an ever growing list of things that my ex daughter gave me endless grief about buying because at the time it had no purpose. HA! It does now and I'm happier than ever that I bought it. I do that fairly often, buy things I like, but have no clear use for at the moment, then, one fine day, there's the reason I bought it!! Slowly but surely Gimp House is coming together, and is starting to look great. Every time Mara comes over and sees the improvements, she tells me how nice and cozy and Mainey it is. I love hearing that because that means that Gimp House is an original in this country of 'follow the trend' look alike homes. I am nothing, if not uniquely original.
Right, no sign of Talia, Orna's daughter, so I'll just get the car put in my name for now and transfer it to her next month. Should work. It's only two weeks away.

No comments: