Sunday, December 18, 2005

MINOR CHANGE IN PLANS

The plan was to buy a cheap car now, then, start the process of getting a subsidized van. I've pretty much decided to stick to renting a car, rather than buying one and starting the procedure for the subsidy now, unless another really good deal pops up. I found a Citroen for next to nothing a couple of weeks ago, but couldn't buy it on the spot because of the bank's insane policy of waiting a month for a nonbouncable check to clear. I will buy a car on the spot if another one like that comes along. Until then, I'll just rent, and let Mutznik worry about the upkeep and depreciation.
I made a wonderful discovery, or more accurately, rediscovered, an internet 'auction' site where I can get the fridge I've been planning and plotting to buy for 10% of it's retail price.Back in the good old days in Maine we had an upside down fridge-bottom freezer and it was great. There was a company in Israel-Friedman-that made them a long time ago, but Israelis never understood the simple genius of them, and they only reappeared here a few years ago. They cost over 7,000 shekels in a store, but the auction site has them for much less. I'm going to wait, or at least, try to wait until next month to bid on one. There's a monster three door one at 499 right now with only a few hours to go before bidding closes. If I can get it for under 799, I will!
I also am going to get a kerosene heater because I refuse on general principle to pay our outrageous electrickery rates to heat. Our rates include free power to all employees of the electrickery company, which has a union that threatens to turn off the switch whenever their free power is threatened. There's not much that can be done about it in summer as there aren't many cooling options on the really hot days, but, winter is a different story. There's gas, which gives me a headache and makes me nauseous, and kerosene which bothers me not at all.....so, kerosene it will be.
It might be a good idea to get out of here while the sun is still shining and sort the heater. Winter, such as it is, has arrived and we are supposed to have a cold wet week.

No comments: