Saturday, August 20, 2005

BAREFOOT IN THE PARK and FRIED KETTLE

After almost 7 years of misery during which I couldn't walk without terrible pain in my left foot, I can now lurch around Gimp House barefoot! The post operative pain was nothing compared with the pain of the last 7 years. Ok, so I still can't walk all that well and spend a fair amount time in the wheelchair, but *that* pain is gone. I'll get rid of them (the pains) one by one.
Now that Bat Chen and I are bringing Igal back to life we are going to add 'medical disclosure' as one of our goals. There were so many things I had to find out on my own after the stroke that should have been told me long before I stumbled on them. The anti pee pills are at the top of the list. I should have been informed that they exist while in rehab at the latest. Instead I had to have a brainstorm after wetting the bed for the 100th time and call a friend who is a Urologist and ask him if there's anything. Since that day, I've been able to go for well over an hour between loo runs, and sleep without waking up soaked. Second on the list is the operation for hammer toes. The rehab folk solved that with a plastic thing that was also supposed to fix the drop foot. Go wear one of those plastic things in the summer. I solved that by going to the pool every day and walking back and forth across the pool for an hour to strengthen the ankle. It didn't help the toes at all in spite of that fact that I did stretching exercises for them in the pool as well. Of course all that *pool walking* made my knees even worse, but it was a fair trade to get rid of the plastic. I thank G-d daily for the residual muscles from my mispent youth on ice, all the running up and down the 16 storey building across the street and thousands of sit up I did back when. Granted some of those are the very things that landed me in the wheelchair, but they also are the very things that help me every day. I still chuckle Remembering Dr.S's face when I kept popping up on the way to the O.R. He wasn't expecting that. I can still do 50 situps without blinking and do them every day. Go Gimp.
Last evening I was IMing with Jaguar and had put the kettle on for a coffee. As the oven was on at the time, I had to use the stove top one so as not to blow the fuse. The handle caught fire and was burning merrily even after I cut the gas. Oh well, I'll just have to use the microwave when the oven is in use. It's too bad as that's the kettle I got on the way to the operation, and I really liked it! Orna is going to kill me as the fire made a mess of the nice clean stove top!
Child Genius is on his way over to sort gimphouse.com and Rita's site. We will also discuss space for Igal.

No comments: