Thursday, June 21, 2007

HEAT WAVE

We are at the beginning of a week long heat wave. It was only 90 or so yesterday. Yesterday Striar went with me to doctor in a suburb of Haifa so I could find out where all the pain is coming from. I left the A/C off until I got to his place because I can actually stand the heat better than he can if there's a breeze-open car window- moving Harley. There's also the fact that Land Rover air conditioners are not kind to fuel consumption.
By some miracle I timed my pain meds just right and was still ok at our first stop which was a medical imaging center where Striar had to get some results. He's had a kidney transplant and is one of the few people I've heard of who actually has more wrong medically that I do.
We got to the clinic my sawbones uses just as he got there and he helped me climb over a bush or two to get to the wheely. Striar wasn't quite sure he'd ever seen a doctor/patient relationship quite like ours before. We were with him for a good half hour and there lots of people waiting. The doc put the pictures up on the screen and explained the whole mess to me. It's not my spine yet, but my right hip is disintegrating. He's sent me to a bone density test, then we'll figure out what to do. When we left the clinic a car was blocking mine so Striar went back in find the jerk who moved it before I turned his rice burner into a Swedish pile of Lego pieces.
We hit the road and stopped in Carmiel so Striar to photo copy some stuff, and swung by KFC. Back in Safad he wanted to see a friend who works at the local hospital who could explain his test results. I then dropped him at his house and got home at 2030, came straight to the computer to see what was new at my favorite playground-Town Hall.
This morning I was up relatively early, did some computer stuff, then headed for town. There wasn't much to do there so I was home by 1330. Striar called while I was in town to ask if I have an air conditioned to rent. Just so happens I do, so I told him that if he thought he'd be able to sleep on a recliner he's more than welcome to it, and that I'll pick up at around noon. There's just no way he can stay in his place when it's over 100 which it will be. All we have to do is figure out how to connect the TV to the cable box. No way is he climbing into my bed and watching my TV with me Weeel, I might let him sit in a chair off to the side to watch the news. But that's it. We'll get that 25" flat screen
hooked up or else. No way can I let him suffer in that heat when I have two air conditioners, a recliner, TV, and around 1500 books in that room.
I'll even let him use the lap top and make read all the cool stuff at TH. Aren't I nice? Actually I am. I'm allowing him to bring an English newspaper into my house on condition that *I* get the cross word puzzle!
He asked what he'd do if there were more katyushas. Sheesh. That room is a proper bomb shelter. It was built to withstand a direct hit, has a blast door and steel shutters for the window which is flush to the inner wall about a 3 feet in from the outer wall. The only safer place in town is under city hall.

2 comments:

The Crawfish said...

bomb shelter....sounds like the kinda room I want as my basement if I ever get to build my dream house (okay, so I'd have to hit a lottery first, but....). My basement would be the adult playroom, with a bar, dart boards (one bristle, one electronic), pool table, pinball machine, and an old video game or two. Not to mention multiple TV monitors, so I can watch all the sports I want without changing channels! I want it with a reinforced ceiling and door, so if an F5 tornado rips into my neighborhood, everybody can come play at my house and be safe.

Purplegimp said...

I was lucky. The government built a bunch of in home shelters for the gimps/crips,/etc. who can't go down the stairs into regular shelters. Mine was the last one built and I love it. I rarely use it, but it is handy for refugees from the heat. The a/c came with it.
It is a very small room but the books are all in there. There is room on the wall for a dart board but if it's on the wrong wall it will be enough to reach out and stick the dart in.
There are pictures of it some place here. Maybe under The Harry and Louise Memorial Liberry.