Monday, July 24, 2006

NEAR MISSES AND THE SEARCH FOR M&Ms

Kiryat Shmona hadn't taken may hits by katyushas before Sunday, then, we got hit hard. Yesterday I managed to get out for a while to get my last card of credit from the Post Office, buy a new electric toothbrush and pick up some stuff at my butchers. I also swung by our local book store which, needless to say, was closed.
Simon, my leg's husband's brother arrived home not long after I rolled in and we decided to hunt down M&Ms where the importer said they have them. I got ready to go and was waiting for Simon on the ramp. His uncle showed up on his way to the funeral of the local kid who was killed in the fighting and all of sudden there was a very loud boom that wasn't our artillery. Bet you didn't know I can run! It was a fairly close hit, that took out the power, and the 3 of us squeezed through my doorway and listened to the news for a while on the transistor Simon brought down. I don't have one yet, but will get one today. The store the importer said has M&Ms doesn't and that store they sent me doesn't have much of anything else either. Can you imagine a grocery store that doesn't have purple bags? I did pick up a few things there and then we went to mall across the road and checked a few stores there. No joy, but there was a Steimatzky's (book store) so, I bought a few new books. That's 1 mission accomplished.
On the way home, Golan, the other neighbor, called and said he's coming home today because he just can't stay away. He went to Tel Aviv for a few days and was miserable. Now we can get back to our nightly council meetings over the BBQ!
Orna (my legs) called a few minutes to report that someone stole one of my cell phones so I called the company, reported it, and had the line shut down. Thankfully I insured it ages ago and it will be replaced as soon as things open up again here. Who knows how long that will be? Orna has another cell phone on the business account, so that's ok!
Simon wandered in earlier and announced that he wants to go to Tiberius to visit his sister who is in Hospital there. I convinced to call and see how she's doing because there were a few hits not far from the hospital. She's doing fine and being released tomorrow so we don't have go there!
I think we will go where I bought my last stash of M&Ms a bit later; as in after I call them to ask if they have any left and what times they are open. But, first, I must take Peg out. Last night, just after the last katyusha for the day fell in town, he peed the floor. Poor baby. He knows the difference between out going and in coming.
I'm just fine, if a little shaky after two close misses. Being stuck at home is not fun, and time/interweb permitting, I'll pick up where I left off on the Tale Of The great American Trip!

No comments: