Thursday, July 27, 2006

I LOVE YOU ALL

I already wrote and posted this once, but it got lost, so I'll just do it again. This is for my 3 faithful readers.
I just rolled in from an inspection tour of town and a search for Shimon, my guy at Mass Rechush (remember these words because I'm not going to explain them every time I use them) Mass Recush is a property tax/insurance branch of our Income Tax office which in turn is under the authority of the Ministry of Finance. I worked for and with them in '98 so I know how things should work.
It used to work like this; the resident of a house damaged by a katyusha called the Mass Rechush office in their town and inspectors were sent to assess the damage. After the damaged was verified and assessed, the tenant and Mass Rechush signed a contract for payment to the contractor direct from Mass Rechush, the appropriate contractor was sent to do the work. The tenent didn't have to deal with the money aspect at all.
This time, the system has been changed drastically and if they don't change it pretty quickly things will get ugly. Now, instead of Mass Rechush being the central authority and coordination between the citizen and contractors, they are only assessing and approving the amount to be spent on repairs, and the tenent will have to pay the contractor directly. Contractors are already refusing to work under this system because they are afraid, and rightly so, that they'll never get paid. There are many people who have liens against their bank accounts which means that they will never see the money they get to pay for repairs because it will be snatched in favor of the lien. There's absolutely no way this can work.
We managed to track down my Mass Rechush guy and he agrees that it's insane, but there isn't much he can do from inside from system, so, I'll just have to take them on myself, if I survive this barrage. Geeze Louise, that last one was close! Ok, breathing back to normal now.
There are three people I know who can help with this. Two are MKs and one is a radio guy who just loves this stuff. I'll call them later.

After our trip to Safad, a short ambush at City Hall to try and catch Shimon from Mass Recush, I went to Amuka to pick up my XP, then, to get the rest of the M&Ms at that Kibbutz. When I got back to town, Shmaryah called to tell me he'd found Shimon and to go to where they were. I did, and we had a lovely reunion., and he promised that the minute they allow him to work with contractors, we'll be the first he calls.
Oh boy, are we getting hit. Shmaryah says the mall at the end of my street was hit and that's where one of the major supermarkets and pharmacy are. If it's a direct hit on the mall, people are injured, or worse. It's really insane.
Ok, time to post and get into bed with a notebook to plan my attack on the Finance Ministry! Don't worry, I'm fine.

No comments: