Monday, July 24, 2006

MORE NEAR MISSES


Just after today's barrage, I clicked back to our news show and they had picture feed from Fox so I clicked over there to see if I could figure out where the building that got hit today is. All I could figure was the general area and until Shmaryah called a few minutes ago, I wasn't any the wiser. They said on the news that an important public building was hit. Bah! The Welfare building houses the most useless department in the city and it was only a near miss. Granted there's not an unbroken window in the place and the inside probably looks like the system they use to torture us! There have been tons of hits on the mountain slopes around town and there's a layer of smoke over everything. The phone keeps ringing with friends trying to convince me to leave town, or at least go to a shelter. No thank you. I'm staying right here. I didn't even go out for M&Ms today but Shmaryah promised to get me some tomorrow. Simon just stuck his head in and we're BBQing later with the usual suspects. This is the first time I've been stuck inside because of mobility issues. Back in 96 I was right out in the middle of it working 3 jobs simultaneously; my regular one at the hotel at night, with the government damage assessors and a private insurance adjuster. It's damn frustrating to be stuck inside with no good reason to be out doing things. I think I'll go look for a picture of the hit at the Welfare Office to post here. Someone should have one up.
Nope, not yet. All the local site has is a few shots of holes in the maine street through town and one of the fires on the hills just to the west. I'll post that one and skip the holes in the roads.
The picture was taken less than a block from my store. It's just a few meters straight up from the roundy in the picture. That smoke is very close to town. There are lot more wild fires along that ridge.

No comments: