Friday, September 30, 2005

JET LAG AND THE GIMP

Ok, ok, so it's only one hour time difference between here and Holland, but I *am* suffering from a minor case of jet lag! I can't manage to nap in the afternoon and can't drop off at night. I just can't seem to find my natural rhythm. I'm sure it will sort itself out sometime. Part of the problem might be that I can't seem to drag my mind back here from the trip. It was so great, that I want to go back there already. Coming home shouldn't have as much of a shock as it was, but there's nothing like an Israeli city to remind you what's wrong here. Those bike paths spoiled me for the insanity that is our local traffic. The roundabout on the way into town was downright dangerous. I almost lost arguments with several large trucks, a taxi and a bus, not to mention the jaywalkers! Maybe I should have remembered that it was market day and that the way to town is impossible on shouk days. I am totally lost in time as well as space. The big New Year holiday Rosh Hashana is coming up so, of course the supermarkets are impossible, for walkers, never mind a gimp on a scooter. It only took me two hours to buy a loaf of rye bread, 4 cukes, some bread crumbs and 6 whole wheat rolls;that's from the time I drove in until I paid and left. Of course getting in was a challenge thanks to the old geezer who parked his scooter so that I couldn't get in until he came out, loaded it, returned his cart and moved. He is one of those old dears who give us scooter users a bad name. He can walk just fine, but the scooter helps them get around. They drive in the middle of the street and expect the right of way without so much as a glance at traffic. It's a miracle there aren't more accidents involving the old dears. At least *I* drive, so, sort of know what I'm doing on the road; as much as anyone here can.
The news is on in the background and it was a bit of a start to hear the A Team theme music suddenly. It's not on now. There was a piece on the news about locals organizing their own neighborhood police forces, to A Team music, of course. Who are they kidding? The crime kings here are the politicians. The rot starts at the top and the average citizen just doesn't understand that if it's wrong for them, it's wrong for us too. After all *they* get away with it, why can't we. Oh hoo, they are using footage from Theory of Revolution. What a giggle. They even have a band-guess what it plays?
Yup, I'm home.
Don is bringing back Dark Matters and it's the best news I've had in ages. I'm going to spend tomorrow trying to get the computer working correctly so I can listen in. Nothing works right now; not Nero, the vid card, printer, or any of the pic editors I have. It will be a long day sorting it all, but worth it. DM is a brilliant show.
Ok, time to bring Peg in and hit the anti pressure sore mattress. My bruises have black and blues! But I'm still basking in the glow of a great trip.

No comments: