Sunday, May 14, 2006

JERUSALEM AND BACK

The big day finally arrived and I stuffed the Sagron family into the Disco and off we went to The Western Wall for Omri's swearing in to the Army at the Western Wall. He's in an elite unit that gets sworn in at The Wall and it's a very big deal. It was also the first time all 7 seats in the Disco were used. We decided to go by the Jordan Valley route which goes right along the border with Jordan and is breathtakingly beautiful. We ran into a major problem in Tiberius where there was a major event at a shrine for a long dead holy man and traffic was being rerouted the long way around, but as I have a wheely card on the windscreem and a wheely hung off the spare tire on the back door we were allowed through with only minor discussion with the cops! We stopped for a rest on the way and my cell phone announced that we were actually in Jordan. I then got a notice from the Israeli cell company to switch the phone to the Israeli company. As I wasn't planning on calling anyone, I ignored it but saved the Jordanian notice.
We got to the right gate into The Old City right on time but the cop had no intention of letting us in, wheely or no. By that time, I was in no mood for it, put the car in park, pulled the hand brake and asked the cop (a very nasty woman, who must have been trained by my daughter) if she'd ever seem a traffic jam from there to Metula AND Eilat? Horns were honking. I wan't moving. Shmaryah got out and found an officer who gave in when he realized I was dead serious about not moving in any direction other than forward! We finally got into the closest parking lot to The Wall and got to the ceremony just as it was starting. Go Gimp! After the swearing in, Omri found us and we all went down to the Wall itself. Then we did the traditional family picture 'thing' They all gathered around me and we had our pictures taken. All I did was drive them there, but they made feel like a treasured family member. Then, of course we took a group picture in front of the Disco that will be in the paper next week.We got my step stool out so I could climb in but something went wrong and I found myself hanging half in and half out and yelling for Shmaryah. He came charging around from the back where he was hanging the chair on the new carrier we'd hung on the rear wheel that morning and managed to get me in! It was a bit scary for a minute because if I'd let go, I'd have landed on my left shoulder and that would have been very bad. But, in the end, all was well and now it's back to the drawing board to find a better system. I was adamant about driving home on the grounds of practicing for the Maine - Florida run. We took the new toll road that has a speed limit of 110 kpm and made good time, arriving at 0215. Shmaryah followed me home and helped me in. It was decided that I could be late to work, but as no one told Orna to let me sleep in, she woke me up as usual, and I hopped into the Disco to take it to Uzi because the camera quit working about an hour before we got to Jerusalem. We decided to sort it on Sunday, I took the Disco home, hopped on Harley and went to get my hair cut as it had been blowing into my eyes with the window open and I hate that. It's all nice and chopped short short. Let the wind blow!
I've been having a 'sleep in' all weekend. Go to sleep, wake up, drift off to sleep and so on and so on. Levana, Shmaryah's wife arrived last evening and had the good sense to call me from the window as I was in the sleep cycle and I told her to come on in. She'd had a huge fight with him and stormed out to talk with me. We had a long heart to heart talk and I assured her that I had already figured things out and that the issue would be sorted shortly. The problem is that there's another woman involved and as it's not me, and she knows I'm no threat to their marriage, it made perfect sense for her to come to me. I overheard a phone call and could assure her that things would soon sort themselves out. Having already figured it out and decided to do something about it, Levana was reassured and felt better. I even know how to go about it now. It will be ok and as soon as she's (the other woman) out of the picture, all will be well. And it shouldn't take too long. It might even be done before I leave. I have two weeks to get it done, and with a little luck, just might accomplish it. If not, when I get back, and Orna will be there to keep an eye on things and report. It's not surprising that things took a downward turn for Shmaryah when 'she' appeared on the scene. He just has to be made to see that and all will be right again. It's almost 0300 and I think I'll take a shower and go back to sleep. It's going to be a long week.

No comments: