Thursday, March 30, 2006

DISCONBOBULATION AS A WAY OF LIFE

Insanity (of the fun wacky kind) has never exactly been a stranger to me, but, now it seems to have taken over over completely. Things are happening at breakneck speed and I'm having trouble keeping up with myself! And poor Orna is on the verge of collapse just trying to get through a day with me. The Disco is almost sorted. The GPS is in it and working just fine, as is the new radio CD and it even has a DVD player that is going to have a camera attached to it so I can stop smashing Asian cars that have the misfortune to park in the vicinity of me. First day out, I backed up with my foot on the brake and barely touched a Honda. Rami sent us to his body work guy, who promptly decided that I would be paying for lots of new fenders and said he'd fix it for free! The same thing happened the very next day at the cell phone 'hands free' installation place, except the ditz I hit just got into her crumpled car and drove off without a glance while I was yelling and waving trying to get her attention in order to tell her that *I* was the culprit and offer to fix it. That was when I decided that a camera is essential and decided to get the fancy radio disk/DVD set up. The expert who does the camera part is off work trying to pass a kidney stone, so the tin can cars are still in danger.
Now for the biggest news of all. There's a business in town that sells bicycles and security doors. It's the number 1 place for those things and the owner was our very first neighbor in town. We also worked together back in 96 during Grapes of Wrath when we were being shelled daily and I found myself in charge of approving security door replacements. He was also a large dealer for cell phones and I bought my first one ever from him. Long story short. He got well and truly done be the cell phone folk and ended up in financial difficulty and almost lost his home. He had a few 'partners' who had absolutely no understanding of how a business should be run and made things even worse. When I went to buy Danny's new bike from him, there were only 4 in the whole place. I mentioned that I want to change my door and after he delivered the bike, he came down to Uzi's where I was having the radio etc installed and sort of off hand asked if I'd be interested in buying out his present partner. I told him I'd think about it, and he went to ask the PP if he'd be willing to be bought out. He agreed and I decided to do it! I had been thinking about doing something like that and as I do not believe in coincidence and DO believe in Divine Intervention, realized that it was meant to be and have already closed the deal. There are a few amazingly incredible aspects to it that will make by baby brother's kids very wealthy one day, and my share in it will eventually go to them. Shmarya says that from the minute I agreed business suddenly picked up, and I am now holding several thousand shekels until all the paperwork is done and we can deposit it properly. We are going on the rounds of bike importers on Monday to get some to sell, as this is the big season. When you do something right, you feel it, and this is RIGHT. It's funny how the wheel turns around. With the garage, I was the partner that pushed sales and knew we needed inventory, with a partner who held back. Now it's the right combination. We both know. Shmarya has the golden hands and the reputation here, I have the ability to sell and run the in-store side. He also has a computer and I'll be able to post here more often. I'll also be able to run the books on computer and plan to computerize the inventory. He has a bazillion bike parts that should be kept track of. He is also the #1 key copier and has computerized machines that can copy just about any key. I rather doubt I'll be doing much of that as I have visions of copying my finger and of the poor customer trying to open his house with me. I don't think so. It's not like it's hard to do, but with my crap left hand, I rather doubt it's a good idea!
My short list of things to do today: exchange the digi cam I bought. It's just too much camera and I don't want to spend a year learning all the bells and whistles-buy a bra (still only have one) talk to my account from the garage days-buy purple supplies for my desk-get the fridge techie to reverse the door opening direction-call Gerald about my computer-fill the Disco's wee 95 liter tank, check in with Shmarya and a few other minor things already on my list. Must get started.

No comments: